Support for EXT3 Filesystems (Symbolic Links, executable Flag ...) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Will the the EXT3 filesystem be fully supported by the new Eclipse Plugin "Eaglestone" (Link) (Teamprise) ? (in a automatic manner)
    Actually Teamprise supports only to store the filesystem specific attributes in a file (.tpattributes) (Link).
    This attributes will be applied to the files during the get process on the local machine.

Questions:
     1- Will this mechanisme still be supported with Eaglestone?
     2- Will this be supported in a native way without a file? (When?)

Thank you for your answer.
    Manuel
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Manuel,

First, we will support the use of EXT3 as filesystem, however there are some limitations as you point out.

In the initial 2010 release (codename Eaglestone), I'm afraid that the .tpattributes file is still the way that we are handling the execute bit on files as well as symbolic links.  In TFS 2010 a new "properties" feature was introduced.  This will allow us to automatically store and set the execute bit permission for example - however we were not able to take advantage of that feature in this initial release.

It does however have very high priority in our backlog so I would hope that we would be able to address it in our next release which we are currenly planning for the end of this calendar year - however I cannot promise that yet as we still have to see what the feedback is for this initial release to be sure.

As well as things like symbolic links and execute bit permissions, there are some other features of the EXT3 file system that we will not be able to support so soon.  For example you cannot have two files in the same folder differing only by the case of the file (and that is because some file systems like NTFS are case sensitive, case preserving).

Hope that make sense?  Like I say - sorry we couldn't make support of execute bits etc more transparant in this initial release but we are working on it.

Apart from execute bit permissions and symbolic links - are there any other features of EXT3 that you feel we need to support that we do not do today? 

Thanks for the feedback,

Martin.
    http://www.woodwardweb.com
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Manuel,

First, we will support the use of EXT3 as filesystem, however there are some limitations as you point out.

In the initial 2010 release (codename Eaglestone), I'm afraid that the .tpattributes file is still the way that we are handling the execute bit on files as well as symbolic links.  In TFS 2010 a new "properties" feature was introduced.  This will allow us to automatically store and set the execute bit permission for example - however we were not able to take advantage of that feature in this initial release.

It does however have very high priority in our backlog so I would hope that we would be able to address it in our next release which we are currenly planning for the end of this calendar year - however I cannot promise that yet as we still have to see what the feedback is for this initial release to be sure.

As well as things like symbolic links and execute bit permissions, there are some other features of the EXT3 file system that we will not be able to support so soon.  For example you cannot have two files in the same folder differing only by the case of the file (and that is because some file systems like NTFS are case sensitive, case preserving).

Hope that make sense?  Like I say - sorry we couldn't make support of execute bits etc more transparant in this initial release but we are working on it.

Apart from execute bit permissions and symbolic links - are there any other features of EXT3 that you feel we need to support that we do not do today? 

Thanks for the feedback,

Martin.
    http://www.woodwardweb.com
    Sunday, March 7, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Thank you for your statement!

"Apart from execute bit permissions and symbolic links - are there any other features of EXT3 that you feel we need to support that we do not do today?"

No, actually this two topics (symbolic links and execute bit) represents the main issues.
    In some special cases the sticky bit is used (t-bit), but this scenario can be changed, so that we doesn't need it absolutely (contrary to the two other issues :-)).

Thank you for the Information

Manuel
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:45 PM