none
Detect water surface with Kinect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to detect water surface with Kinect in order to reconstruct it, but it seems like it either does not see it (if I hold my hand underneath it, it detects my hand), or for the case of turbulent water it see patches and the rest are black.

Is there any way to detect water surface with Kinect? I bought it for this purpose but I'm scared it's no use at all.

Thanks

Alireza

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:10 PM

All replies

• The Kinect v2 (and all other Time of Flight depth sensors) work by sending out infrared light pulses and measuring how long it takes to bounce back from surfaces.

The Kinect v1 (and all other Structured Light depth sensors) work by sending out a pattern of dots of infrared light and analyzing how the pattern deforms when seen by the IR camera.

The common theme here is that these sensors send out light and rely on that to bounce back, since water is mostly transparent that will make it fail.

The only other type of depth sensor I know of uses stereo vision with two regular camera's, it detects patterns and textures in both images and compares the shift without the need to actively illuminate the scene. But I'm afraid that the lack of distinct texture in water will also make it very difficult to get a depth reading using this technique.

Brekel

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:38 PM