Disk running out of free space RRS feed

• Question

• The SharePoint database server shows little free space on its drive, particularly C drive.

I do not have enough experience with this...After reading few posts on this forum I deleted some of the log files under 14/Logs folder.

But that has not cleared all the space which seems occupied with some data....

Is there any other way to find out where the space is getting used ?

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:21 PM

Answers

• Set your SharePoint DB's to simple recovery, it's all you really need unless you absolutely have to do an hourly recovery, but generally I've found the recycle bin is enough and we just do nightly backups.

Unfortunately, as you update and patch youw winsxs directory will bloat, this is normal behavior and chews up the C: Drive.

If you enable the windows experience feature on the server OS, you can use the "Disk Cleanup" tool to help somewhat.

You can also defrag, but obviously do it during off hours or your I/O performance will bottleneck your farm.

SQL Drive configuration wise, if you can, you want to seperate out onto different spindles so that you have this type of config:

• C: OS system
    • D: Data files
    • E: tempdb
    • F: Pagefile
    • G: Log files

• Proposed as answer by StevenJones Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rock Wang– MSFT Friday, February 10, 2012 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

You say SharePoint database server, do you mean SQL server or do you mean your SharePoint server? If you are using a virtual Windows server 2008 R2 you can extend your C:\ partition. You can also move your log files to another drive as D:\ or E:\. SharePoint index files can also be moved to another drive. If you have your SQL server installed in same server as your SharePoint server, then you may consider moving your SQL databases to another server and uninstall SQL server. Please provide us with more information about your configuration!

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You say SharePoint database server, do you mean SQL server or do you mean your SharePoint server? If you are using a virtual Windows server 2008 R2 you can extend your C:\ partition. You can also move your log files to another drive as D:\ or E:\. SharePoint index files can also be moved to another drive. If you have your SQL server installed in same server as your SharePoint server, then you may consider moving your SQL databases to another server and uninstall SQL server. Please provide us with more information about your configuration!

Regards
    Henrik A. Halmstrand
    sharepointrevealed.com
    getspconfig.codeplex.com
    Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:22 PM
  • There's a free program, named treesize, where you can see which files are eating your space.

In case that the file is a .ldf file, see thread 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010setup/thread/3e18d396-055d-4e3a-8108-1990d9ba8ed4

Christos
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Set your SharePoint DB's to simple recovery, it's all you really need unless you absolutely have to do an hourly recovery, but generally I've found the recycle bin is enough and we just do nightly backups.

Unfortunately, as you update and patch youw winsxs directory will bloat, this is normal behavior and chews up the C: Drive.

If you enable the windows experience feature on the server OS, you can use the "Disk Cleanup" tool to help somewhat.

You can also defrag, but obviously do it during off hours or your I/O performance will bottleneck your farm.

SQL Drive configuration wise, if you can, you want to seperate out onto different spindles so that you have this type of config:

• C: OS system
    • D: Data files
    • E: tempdb
    • F: Pagefile
    • G: Log files

• Proposed as answer by StevenJones Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rock Wang– MSFT Friday, February 10, 2012 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:33 PM