Security Shield "Unidentified Publisher" RRS feed

• Question

• After searching everyplace I could think of, this is the last hope.

When installing my application on Vista (every version so far) I get a dialog box that pops up stating "An unidentified program wants access to your computer".  On this dialog box, it states "Unidentified Publisher".  I don't mind the "...program wants access to your computer" part.  I just want to try and switch the "Unidentified Publisher" to state my companies name.

Does anyone know how this is done?  Is it done by the installer software, or is this what "digital signing" is supposed to handle?

If it is done by the installer software, does anyone know which installers currently support this? 

I currently have access to InstallMaster 9.1 and Wise for Windows 3.1.

If this is the digital signing, does anyone know how to handle this?  (Can someone post a link to a "HOWTO"?)

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 6:17 PM

Answers

• Just to help clear some of this up for everyone:

Tips:
    ==============
    Visit the Windows Quality Online Services (Winqual) site to start the submission process and complete the steps for obtaining the "Works with Windows Vista" logo, which include:

1. Create a new submission—Go to Winqual and create a new "Works with Windows Vista" logo submission using your Winqual account. If you do not have a Winqual account, you will need to create a new account before starting the submission process. This will require you to obtain a VeriSign Organizational Certificate that will allow Microsoft to identify your organization so that we can share your application's logo status with Windows Vista customers. Microsoft has partnered with VeriSign to offer this certificate at a discounted price of US$99 for ISV partners who participate in the "Works with Windows Vista" software logo program. Get a discounted VeriSign Organizational Certificate > 
    2. Submit your compatibility status—During the "Works with Windows Vista" logo program submission process using Winqual, you will complete the Windows Vista Application Compatibility Questionnaire to tell Microsoft how your application works on Windows Vista. This information will be used to communicate your application's compatibility status to Microsoft customers through the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.
    3. Get the "Works with Windows Vista" logo—After completing the “Works with Windows Vista” logo program submission process, you can sign the logo license agreement and download the “Works with Windows Vista” logo artwork from the Winqual site.

This and other great information can be found at www.innovateonwindowsvista.com/workswithwindowsvista 

Thanks,
    Louis Shanks
    App Compat

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 11:05 PM

All replies

• Looks like I will be answering my own question.

Depending on your installer, it should have its own way of signing and verifying the installer.  Under InstallMaster 8.1, it is called "Code Signing", under "Wise for Windows Installer 4" it is called "Digital Signature".

The bases is that you need to get an "authenticode" from Verisign to use this functionality (or to the best of my knowledge this is the only way).

Yeah... go big business screwing the little guy once more.

Friday, September 22, 2006 4:34 PM
  • Brian,

You are correct about the signing. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the tools you mentioned but I'm sure they allow for signing the install packages.

Maarten

Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:56 PM
  • On the Vista compatibility site (https://microsoft.mrmpslc.com/InnovateOnWindowsVista/CompatibilityStatus.aspx), developers are asked to purchase a Verisign Organizational Certificate in order to submit an application to the compatibility program; the site also mentions a Microsoft Product Identification Tool to be made available in late October.

Can anyone verify whether this Organizational Certificate and Product Identification Tool are sufficient to solve the problem Brian describes above? Or would a software publisher still need to purchase the more expensive Microsoft Authenticode Digital ID in order to sign code so that end users don't see "Unidentified Publisher"?

Thanks!

Jon Stern
    Sr. Software Engineer
    Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc
    Thursday, October 26, 2006 10:44 PM
  • Just to help clear some of this up for everyone:

Tips:
    ==============
    Visit the Windows Quality Online Services (Winqual) site to start the submission process and complete the steps for obtaining the "Works with Windows Vista" logo, which include:

1. Create a new submission—Go to Winqual and create a new "Works with Windows Vista" logo submission using your Winqual account. If you do not have a Winqual account, you will need to create a new account before starting the submission process. This will require you to obtain a VeriSign Organizational Certificate that will allow Microsoft to identify your organization so that we can share your application's logo status with Windows Vista customers. Microsoft has partnered with VeriSign to offer this certificate at a discounted price of US$99 for ISV partners who participate in the "Works with Windows Vista" software logo program. Get a discounted VeriSign Organizational Certificate > 
    2. Submit your compatibility status—During the "Works with Windows Vista" logo program submission process using Winqual, you will complete the Windows Vista Application Compatibility Questionnaire to tell Microsoft how your application works on Windows Vista. This information will be used to communicate your application's compatibility status to Microsoft customers through the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.
    3. Get the "Works with Windows Vista" logo—After completing the “Works with Windows Vista” logo program submission process, you can sign the logo license agreement and download the “Works with Windows Vista” logo artwork from the Winqual site.

This and other great information can be found at www.innovateonwindowsvista.com/workswithwindowsvista 

Thanks,
    Louis Shanks
    App Compat

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 11:05 PM