Hyper-V : Unique Identifier or MachineGUID RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Hyper-V Manager from Microsoft Corporation Version:6.2.9200.16384.
    I am facing this issue regarding Unique Identifier(MachineGUID) of a virtual machine.
    The clones in Hyper-V manager are not having Unique UUID/GUID. The UUIDs are also cloned which is creating the problem in identifying unique VMs.
    I have made sure that in the "Import Virtual machine" wizard, at the step "Chose Import Type", I select "Copy the virtual machine(create a new unique ID)".
    The detailed steps followed for windows and linux VMs are as follows: 

[ Windows Platform ]:
    I have the "machine-W"(Windows) in Hyper-V Manager. It has a MachineGUID.
    I check the GUID in registry location: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Microsoft >Cryptography >MachineGuid"
    The output is: 1c5bf86d-22d1-42c1-ad91-50f44675097b
    I export it.
    I re-import this machine using "Import Virtual Machine" wizard in the Action menu of Hyper-V manager.
    I make sure that at the step "Chose Import Type", I select "Copy the virtual machine(create a new unique ID)"
    When the import is finished, I rename it as "machine-W-clone"
    What I find is that when I power on the "machine-W-clone". It shows the same GUID.
    I check the GUID in registry location: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE >Microsoft >Cryptography >MachineGuid"
    The output is: 1c5bf86d-22d1-42c1-ad91-50f44675097b . This is same as of "machine-W".
    I then export the machines "machine-W" and "machine-W-clone".
    I see in their respective xml files in "Virtual Machines" folder that they use different global logical-id to identify
      the vitual machines in Hyper-V manager.
    Following is an extract from the xml file:
        <settings>
        <global>
          <logical_id type="string">C4D15772-632B-442E-82D4-8CD2B0C99807</logical_id>
        </global>
    </settings>

[ Linux Platform ]: 
    I have the "machine-L"(Linux) in Hyper-V Manager. It has a Machine MachineGUID.
    I check the its UUID/GUID using this command: "dmidecode -s system-uuid"
    The output is: 1F0DCE4F-E7B4-5449-A257-8F6952E5451F
    I export it.
    I re-import this machine using "Import Virtual Machine" wizard in the Action menu of Hyper-V manager.
    I make sure that at the step "Chose Import Type" I select "Copy the virtual machine(create a new unique ID)"
    When the import is finished, I rename it as "machine-L-clone"
    What I find is that when I power on the "machine-L-clone". It shows the same GUID.
    I check the UUID using this command on the command prompt of "machine-L-clone": "dmidecode -s system-uuid"
    The output is: 1F0DCE4F-E7B4-5449-A257-8F6952E5451F . This is same as of "machine-L".
    I then export the machines machine-L and machine-L-clone.
    I see in their respective xml files in "Virtual Machines" folder that they use different global logical-id to identify
      the vitual machines in Hyper-V manager.

My Questions are:
    1. If global logical-id is different from MachineGUID, how can I access this global logical_id inside the windows virtual machine itself?
    2. If global logical_id is different from SystemUUID, how can I access this global logical_id inside the linux virtual machine itself?
    3. Is there any other unique identifier for a machine in Hyper-V that can be accessed inside the virtual machine itself?
    • Edited by Chetan Dua Friday, January 13, 2017 10:25 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 9:53 AM