none
Help required for customized email template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Am looking to build a customized email template, which would have following fields

To:

CC:

Subject:

In the body of the mail, I need a control for a user to select an email from organizations email list. The text below should be like

As discussed <<Email Id of selected indivdidual>> Email Select Button

I tried using Email Select Button which comes in default in Contact template, but somehow when I copy-paste the control i new template the Email Selection field is lost. Please advise.

Regards, Viraj Rao

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:49 PM

Answers

• You can't use properties from other Outlook items (like a Contact) in a MailItem object.  If you want to replicate the ability to select a type, use a ComboBox control that contains the type values you want the user to select from.  When the value changes, trap the Click event for the control and do whatever you want there (like update other controls or field values).

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Try Outlook Appins - affordable and easy to use!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:55 PM

All replies

• Merged by Max Meng Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:21 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 3:24 PM
  • I don't know whether you get the above, but you can make use of Outlook custom forms to customize the forms that you like. You can refer more info @ http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/tutorial-creating-and-distributing-custom-forms-with-outlook-HA001210610.aspx

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:36 PM
  • How can I create a Outlook 2010 template like the one shown below on the screen shot

• Merged by Max Meng Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:31 AM
    • Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:34 AM merge
    Monday, September 10, 2012 6:07 PM
  • Looks like duplicate item.... You can refer: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/thread/61bf0fb7-a815-4ed4-826d-a27746687b0b

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:27 PM
  • I need EMAIL SELECTED FIELD from MESSAGE template - Please see screen shot below

• Merged by Max Meng Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:35 AM
    • Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:40 AM merge
    Monday, September 10, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Hi,

Am looking to build a customized email template, which would have following fields

To:

CC:

Subject:

In the body of the mail, I need a control for a user to select an email from organizations email list. The text below should be like

As discussed <<Email Id of selected indivdidual>> Email Select Button

I tried using Email Select Button which comes in default in Contact template, but somehow when I copy-paste the control i new template the Email Selection field is lost. Please advise.

• Merged by Max Meng Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

To:

CC:

Subject:

As discussed <<Email Id of selected indivdidual>> Email Select Button

I tried using Email Select Button which comes in default in Contact template, but somehow when I copy-paste the control i new template the Email Selection field is lost. Please advise.

Regards, Viraj Rao

• Merged by Max Meng Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:18 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:55 PM
  • You can try using Outlook custom form or Outlook Object Model's CreateItemFromTemplate Method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/aa220081(v=office.11).aspx).

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:15 PM
  • You'll need to create an application that gets that information then writes it to the email message, or use a macro to insert fields from the selected contact into a template (using either bookmarks or document property fields).  I have a code sample that can be the starting point for starting an email with selected contact fields but if you want to use an address book selector, outlookcode.com might have some examples you can build on.

On, and the MSDN programmers forum might be better suited for follow up questions- all the Outlook dev hang out there. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlookdev/threads

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:21 PM
  • When you design a message form for the first time, there are already e-mail select button controls that display the Address Book dialog.  These would be the "To..." and "Cc..." buttons, bound to the To and Cc fields.  Will those not work for your needs?

About me...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:31 PM
  • Hi Eric,

I do require To, CC and Subject fields.

In addition , I require a field to select address book dialog. Please note that, the email would only should go to a person in the To list and not to the person whose email id is displayed in new field. 

Below the new email field, there should be message box for person to write the mail contents

For Example:

To: Eric.Legault@xyz.com

CC:

Subject: About our discussion

Hi Eric,

As discussed <<..............................>> Email select button, is our new sales representative.

Regards,

Viraj Rao

Hope the above example helps.

Regards, Viraj Rao

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:44 PM
  • If you don't want to use the Recipient control because they require being bound to an existing address field, then you'd have to use VBScript to call the Namespace.GetSelectNamesDialog to popup the Address Book.  Use the properties of the SelectNamesDialog object to retreived the selected recipient and put the information you want from that in a textbox control.

About me...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Am not a coder and would be nice of you if you can help me with the code.

From where can I select SelectNamesDialog object on the form.

Regards,

Viraj Rao

Regards, Viraj Rao

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:22 PM
  • I can help with specific questions, but unfortunately I cannot create the solution for you.  My best advice if you want to do programming is to get familiar with the basics. There's a great resource here:

Microsoft Outlook Custom Forms:
    http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?ID=35

About me...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:41 PM
  • IT

Regards, Viraj Rao

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:47 PM
  • IT MUST BE A CONTROL THAT IS NEUTRAL LIKE E-Mail Selected. It can't be TO or CC since

select these control affect the sending to or CC email address of the email.

The control we really want is E-Mail selected -- unfortunately I can't find this control in the MESSAGE form

(standard library) this only exist in CONTACT -- please see the screen shot below.

If you know how to make the control E-Mail Selected display on Message form let us know.

Regards, Viraj Rao

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:51 PM
  • You can't use properties from other Outlook items (like a Contact) in a MailItem object.  If you want to replicate the ability to select a type, use a ComboBox control that contains the type values you want the user to select from.  When the value changes, trap the Click event for the control and do whatever you want there (like update other controls or field values).

About me...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Hi Regards,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I will mark Eric's reply as answer, please feel free to unmark it if you don't think so.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:23 AM