none
.NET 3.5 redistributable package question.. RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to build an application in .NET which would require the framework obviously and when I ship this to client then I would have to ship the .NET framework too for it to run..

My question is that is the .NET 3.5 framework redistributable package which is freely downloadable on Microsoft site  enough for shipping with my client application??

Since the size of the package is only 2.73MB, will the whole framework be installed with this redistributable package and would this be enough for my app to run??

One possibility may be that the client may not have an internet connection.. So would shipping this redistributable package be enough or does the client have to download the framework from internet after installing this 2.73MB package??

Please reply..

Thanks..

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:04 PM

Answers

•  

i think it is just an extender to 3.0

if you developed your app using 3.0 then you must ship 3.0 with that

i guess its not a good idea to view this package as a whole solution that will provide support for the apps made in 3.0 or 3.5 or in other words you must have 3.0 installed prior to this package

so if the client machine is only having 2.0 not 3.0 then 3.5 shiping won't help

but wait for other answers i may be wrong

good luck

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:03 PM
  • Hi

You can author your app in the following way

<!-- Block installation if .NET 3.5 RTM is not present -->
        <Property Id='FRAMEWORK35'>
          <RegistrySearch Id='Framework35Registry' Type='raw' Root='HKLM' Key='Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5' Name='Install' />
        </Property>

<Condition Message='.NET Framework 3.5 is not present on this computer. Please install it from http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe '>
          FRAMEWORK35 = "#1"
        </Condition>

This example is for .NET Framework 3.5, but you cna easily modify it to target any Framework version.

You ca ndownload the full .NET Framework 3.5 redist from http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe.  

HTH

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:10 AM

All replies

•  

i think it is just an extender to 3.0

if you developed your app using 3.0 then you must ship 3.0 with that

i guess its not a good idea to view this package as a whole solution that will provide support for the apps made in 3.0 or 3.5 or in other words you must have 3.0 installed prior to this package

so if the client machine is only having 2.0 not 3.0 then 3.5 shiping won't help

but wait for other answers i may be wrong

good luck

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:03 PM
  •  

Hi,,

If your has developed the application using .net framework 3.5, then obveiously u need to install the framework

on the client machine to run it. Without framework it will generate a pop up window "To run this application Windows .NET Framework is required"...

and one more thing .NET Framework is too big in size so better u include the framwork in the package itself. So that user need not to waste time to download.

It around 230 MB  as I guess.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:08 PM
  • As the previous posters have said the client machines will need to have the .Net framework installed. As you cannot be sure that they do and they do / may not have an Internet connection you will need to ship the .Net framework with your application and since you need to ship your product on another medium other than the Internet you will probably use a CD / DVD which will have plenty of space for .Net 3.5 (197MB).

In visual studio you have to option to include prerequisites with your deployment application, this will insure that .Net is included with your install and install the required framework during the install (i.e. if they already have .Net 2.0 it will only install 3.0 and 3.5).

Hope that helps,

Bro Num

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:18 PM
  •  Raman_Katwal_efb554 wrote:

Hi,,

If your has developed the application using .net framework 3.5, then obveiously u need to install the framework

on the client machine to run it. Without framework it will generate a pop up window "To run this application Windows .NET Framework is required"...

and one more thing .NET Framework is too big in size so better u include the framwork in the package itself. So that user need not to waste time to download.

It around 230 MB  as I guess.

Thank you for your reply..

But the whole framework is not downlodable as a whole.. Is it?

Atleast I didnt find any link to do it..

Is it done by internet only?

If you can provide me a link, that would be very good..

Thanks..

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Yes the framework is downloaded as a whole.

If you create a deployment project and add the framework as a prerequisite everything will be done for you.

Bro Num

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 3:26 PM
  •  Bronumski wrote:

In visual studio you have to option to include prerequisites with your deployment application, this will insure that .Net is included with your install and install the required framework during the install (i.e. if they already have .Net 2.0 it will only install 3.0 and 3.5).

Could you please guide me more on this.. How to include prerequisites??

Bronumski wrote:

As the previous posters have said the client machines will need to have the .Net framework installed. As you cannot be sure that they do and they do / may not have an Internet connection you will need to ship the .Net framework with your application and since you need to ship your product on another medium other than the Internet you will probably use a CD / DVD which will have plenty of space for .Net 3.5 (197MB).

Can you provide me the link from where I can download the whole 3.5 framework ?

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Hi

You can author your app in the following way

<!-- Block installation if .NET 3.5 RTM is not present -->
        <Property Id='FRAMEWORK35'>
          <RegistrySearch Id='Framework35Registry' Type='raw' Root='HKLM' Key='Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5' Name='Install' />
        </Property>

<Condition Message='.NET Framework 3.5 is not present on this computer. Please install it from http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe '>
          FRAMEWORK35 = "#1"
        </Condition>

This example is for .NET Framework 3.5, but you cna easily modify it to target any Framework version.

You ca ndownload the full .NET Framework 3.5 redist from http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe.  

HTH

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Hi guys...

I use vb20008 professional and myself and many others have made many .exe programs using setup1 (deployment), but we all have the same problem with the .net 3.5 for which DOES NOT load along with the program/s.

This is clearly visible in the DETECTED DEPENDENCIES folder.  Even though it clearly says (ticked) in the PreReqisites section, that the .net framework will be added once you have completed/published your program.

The only way i see out of this, is to use a third party  program like Autoruns, in where one can add the .net 3.5

Johnny
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 12:55 PM
  • hello.

I've written a WPF application to include in a DVD for sale.

I've created a Deployment project, and I specified ".NET Framework 3.5" as a prequisites.
    I've set the download option to "Download prerequieites from the same location as my application"

when i build the Deployment project, it creates the setup.exe, the msi of my application, and it also creates the "DotNetFX35" folder and the "WindowsInstaller3_1" folder.

I have a lisensed copy of VS.Net 2008, and I am not modifying any of the files inside "DotNetFX35" nor "WindowsInstaller3_1".

my question is, am I allow to copy all these files inside the bin directory onto a DVD for redistribution?

please help... I spent a long time trying to find out the answer of this question. obviously, I dont want to be sue by copying the "DotNetFX35" and "WindowsInstaller3_1" folder onto my DVD.

I was trying to use the ".NET Framework Client Profile" prerequisite, but its not suitable in my case as my clients dont have fast internet.

thanks in advanced.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:00 PM