none
Will be AMP GPU debugging supported in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• In current CTP, debugging of GPU code is not supported for Windows 7. Is this limitation only for CTP or even the final C++ AMP will require Windows 8 to debug on GPU?

Thanks

Martin Pozor
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Martin

Sorry, it is not clear right now if in the final version of the GPU debugger in the emulator will be supported on Windows 7. We'd like it to be, but we cannot commit to that at this stage.

What we’ve seen some people do is have a VM running Win8 that can access the same VS project as their Win7 installation, so they can do their main development on Win7, but still switch to the VM for debugging the C++ AMP restricted code. Sharing in case that helps at all…

Cheers

Daniel

http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/
    • Marked as answer by pozi Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:46 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:34 AM
  • You can now try out GPU debugging on Window 7. Please refer to the blog post for details.

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin

Sorry, it is not clear right now if in the final version of the GPU debugger in the emulator will be supported on Windows 7. We'd like it to be, but we cannot commit to that at this stage.

What we’ve seen some people do is have a VM running Win8 that can access the same VS project as their Win7 installation, so they can do their main development on Win7, but still switch to the VM for debugging the C++ AMP restricted code. Sharing in case that helps at all…

Cheers

Daniel

• Marked as answer by pozi Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:46 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

I've been exploring the use of AMP over CUDA in my team.

Firstly, congrats, it's an elegantly simple solution, I think it'll make a huge impact in the world of C++.

I'm just wondering whether there's been any movement on this question? Do you see GPU debugging being supported on Windows 7 any time soon? If you're still unable to give any difinitive answer I understand, I just figured things may have moved along since November (and I can't seem to find any information anywhere else).

Many Thanks

Craig

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Hi Craig

We still don’t have anything to confirm I am afraid, but I can tell you that I am personally more confident this will happen by RTM. We are working on it, but we still cannot promise anything.

In the meantime, if you cannot install Win8 on your development machine, a good workaround is to use remote debugging to a VM running Win8:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nativeconcurrency/archive/2012/03/19/remote-gpu-debugging-in-visual-studio-11.aspx

Cheers
    Daniel

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:35 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

To get around of Win7 not supporting AMP debugging, I (BAE Systems) is using the following workaround.

1. Have a Win8 computer and develop a dll (AteAMP.dll) with AMP in it.

2. Deploy this  AteAMP.dll in a Win7 computer and link it and run with it.

However, it crashes in array_view in my Win7 computer. I need instruction on how to acompanish this workaround such as what are the other Microsoft dlls that should also be deployed to my Win7 computer. A detailed instruction should be really helpful to many of us trying to utilize AMP as quickly as possible.

Thanks!

Bingcai

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Daniel,

Is there any update on this? My company will not be updating to windows 8. We currently use OpenCL and are eager to evaluate and switch to AMP but without debugging support it is likely we will never change. 

Friday, October 19, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Hi Bingcai,

This approach should work. Can you check if it is an exception that you are encountering and share the message contained in the exception?

Also, please post this issue in a new thread

- Amit

Amit K Agarwal

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Any Update on this? 

Bought your book but will wait until I can debug on windows 7 to use it. Windows 8 isn't an option right now even in a VM.

Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:47 PM
  • You can now try out GPU debugging on Window 7. Please refer to the blog post for details.

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2013 10:51 PM