Background Images (Tile effect) EW (ahwebdesign) - 12/11/2007 6:36 PM PST RRS feed

• Question

• By: ahwebdesign

Sorry for wasting your time with this simple question, but I have tried to 
    find it on my own with no luck. I am having issues with my background images 
    doing a tile effect. How do I make one solid image as a background? Hope this 
    makes sense.

Thanks!
    Friday, March 7, 2008 7:20 PM

Answers

• That is the default for backgrounds.
    There is a reason why you don't see this used very often.
    1. The file size will be considerable causing the page to take long to load.
    2. There is no way to make it fill the entire background in the browser regardless of the size of the viewport size.

If you really want to, select the body tag and from CSS Properties select Background-repeat set it to no-repeat.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:25 PM

All replies

• That is the default for backgrounds.
    There is a reason why you don't see this used very often.
    1. The file size will be considerable causing the page to take long to load.
    2. There is no way to make it fill the entire background in the browser regardless of the size of the viewport size.

If you really want to, select the body tag and from CSS Properties select Background-repeat set it to no-repeat.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Adding to Jens Peters reply, an additional thing you can do is to use a background colour that's the same as the 'background image background colour', if that makes sense.

You would use a style for the body something like:

body {
    background-color:#6699FF;
    background-image:url('images/mybackground.jpg');
    background-repeat:no-repeat;
    background-position:left;
    }

Here my background image has a background colour of #6699ff.

The background-position can help and if it's a small image, 'center' might work.

HTH

Ian
    http://www.ew-resource.co.uk
    http://www.fp-resource.co.uk
    Ian Haynes
    • Edited by Ian Haynes Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:04 PM correction
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:34 AM