remote debugging RRS feed

• Question

• User65893105 posted

I have a website that ive deployed to a testing server and its not functioning correctly.  Ive setup the remote debugging monitor on the testing server and i can connect to it from my development machine.  How do i actually debug it ?  If i run the website from IIS which process do i attach to ?  How do i set breakpoints ?  (are they set in my dev machine ?)  All I have on the testing server are the assemblies, pdb files and the asociated website file (.aspx, images, etc).  Im slightly confused as to how remote debugging would actually work.  Can anyone help ?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:33 AM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi misuk

For this remote debugging issue, I would like to suggest you to learn this series of topics about remote debugging below,

Set Up Remote Debugging;                     Run the Remote Debugging Monitor;

Remote Debugging Across Domains;     Remote Debugging of a Project Built Locally;

Remote Debugging Errors and Troubleshooting;

# Set Up Remote Debugging - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y7f5zaaa.aspx

It will give you more clear explanation of remote debugging, and you can deal with relevant issues during your remote debugging,

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 4:22 AM

All replies

• User65893105 posted

Ive setup a new application pool on the test server (IIS7) now my website is the only user of that app pool.  When I select attach to process on my dev machine I can see w3wp.exe with a username of

IIS APPOOL\websitename[administrator]

so I attach to that process and run the website from within IIS.  On my dev machine I have a breakpoint set on a button click, when I click that button on the website on the test server, I dont stop at the breakpoint, so remote debugging isnt actually working.  Are there any other steps i need to follow to get this to work ?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:56 AM
  • User65893105 posted

and  now , for no explicable reason all w3wp.exe processes have disappeared from the process list, despite still running on my test server.  No matter how many times i refresh , they dont reappear (show processes from all users is checked)

Can anyone help ?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:40 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

Hi misuk

For this remote debugging issue, I would like to suggest you to learn this series of topics about remote debugging below,

Set Up Remote Debugging;                     Run the Remote Debugging Monitor;

Remote Debugging Across Domains;     Remote Debugging of a Project Built Locally;

Remote Debugging Errors and Troubleshooting;

# Set Up Remote Debugging - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y7f5zaaa.aspx

It will give you more clear explanation of remote debugging, and you can deal with relevant issues during your remote debugging,

Regards

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 4:22 AM