PCI Device Metadata

Question

• I have run into a problem when I use the “Device metadata Authoring” to make a metadata file. The metadata file seems to do not work at all.

I have researched some Examples offered by Microsoft such as "kmdf_fx2"(most of them are USB device) and found system can find the device in “start->settings->more settings->device”,even if it does not have a Driver(.sys and .inf) .

When I came to a PCIDevice following the same way ,it makes different.The metadata file seems that it does not work at all. Firstly,I can`t find the dialog like this

Secondly,the ETW ->UserPnp->DeviceMetadata/Debug message which PCI device makes is different form EzUsb,USB device general the event message like the following picture when there is not metadata file,the sysytem would find Device which key is "VID_0547&PID_1002"

The PCI Device ETW message

The driver of them is developed by myself.Is the PCI metadata file makes by Microsoft or user?

Why the PCI Device do not find the "VID_XXX&PID_XXX" in metadata store following the way USB does?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have run into a problem when I use the “Device metadata Authoring” to make a metadata file. The metadata file seems to do not work at all.

I have researched some Examples offered by Microsoft such as "kmdf_fx2"(most of them are USB device) and found system can find the device in “start->settings->more settings->device”,even if it does not have a Driver(.sys and .inf) .

When I came to a PCIDevice following the same way ,it makes different.The metadata file seems that it does not work at all. Firstly,I can`t find the dialog like this

Secondly,the ETW ->UserPnp->DeviceMetadata/Debug message which PCI device makes is different form EzUsb,USB device general the event message like the following picture when there is not metadata file,the sysytem would find Device which key is "VID_0547&PID_1002"

The PCI Device ETW message

The driver of them is developed by myself.Is the PCI metadata file makes by Microsoft or user?

Why the PCI Device do not find the "VID_XXX&PID_XXX" in metadata store following the way USB does?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Adam,

We have not published information for this scenario yet.

Best Wishes - Eric 

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:31 AM