Installing .NET 2.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I need .NET 2.0 to access a testing site for class. But whenever I try to install it, it tells me something along the lines of not being able to operate on a 64bit system. I'm not at all technology savvy, but does this mean that it's not compatible with my computer?

When I look at my programs and features, I see that I have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

Could one of these programs be preventing it from downloading properly? What can I do?

Thanks.

Friday, September 9, 2011 5:37 AM

Answers

• If you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, you have,by definition, .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as well.

Why do I say this?

Because .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 is all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. You CANNOT have 3.0 or 3.5 without 2.0.

We need to know your Windows Version and service pack level! Why? Because the solution to your problem will be very different, depending on your Windows version.

As you mention that you see .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in your installed programs list, I'll guess that you have either Windows XP or Vista. Unfortunately, that still does not allow us to offer a specific solution. In Windows XP, .NET Framework 2.0 is an add in program (and requires SP2 for XP as a prerequisite). In Vista, .NET Framework 2.0 is installed as an integral part of the OS, and cannot be installed/removed/repaired using normal procedures for an add in program.

Please get back to us with your Windows version and Service Pack level. Also, please run this tool to determine which .NET Frameworks are properly installed on your system.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Report results here.

• Edited by pvdg42 Friday, September 9, 2011 4:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew.Wu Monday, September 12, 2011 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:03 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:36 PM

All replies

• What is windows name ?

is it 64 bit or 32 bit ?

If you have .net framework 3.5 or 4 installed then you already have the components of .net framework 2 you do not need to install them again. your application which targets .net framework 3.5 , 4 or below should work.

Please mark those posts as answer which answers your question. Faraz
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:50 AM
  • If you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, you have,by definition, .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as well.

Why do I say this?

Because .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 is all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. You CANNOT have 3.0 or 3.5 without 2.0.

We need to know your Windows Version and service pack level! Why? Because the solution to your problem will be very different, depending on your Windows version.

As you mention that you see .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in your installed programs list, I'll guess that you have either Windows XP or Vista. Unfortunately, that still does not allow us to offer a specific solution. In Windows XP, .NET Framework 2.0 is an add in program (and requires SP2 for XP as a prerequisite). In Vista, .NET Framework 2.0 is installed as an integral part of the OS, and cannot be installed/removed/repaired using normal procedures for an add in program.

Please get back to us with your Windows version and Service Pack level. Also, please run this tool to determine which .NET Frameworks are properly installed on your system.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Report results here.

• Edited by pvdg42 Friday, September 9, 2011 4:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Andrew.Wu Monday, September 12, 2011 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Thursday, September 15, 2011 10:03 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Hi NTSheldon,

Any updates?

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 12, 2011 6:34 AM