Windows Server 2008 Compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Experiencing extreme performance degradation running VFP 9 app from Windows Server 2008. Any known issues or solutions?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:37 PM

Answers

• Where are the temp files stored?  Does the config.fpw have the temp files set to the local drive? If not, I would suggest doing that to reduce network traffic.

Are you able to use the SET KEY command instead of filters?

I would for sure look at the hardware, specifically if there are any gigabit pieces in the network puzzle.  I assume this affects all workstations?  Try this.  On the workstation closest to the switch, run an ethernet cable (with factory ends if possible) directly from that PC to the switch, by-passing all other hubs, switches and cables. See if that one workstation performs as it should. If it does, than have the hardware folks come in and see where they have problems.

HTH

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:29 PM

All replies

• Do you find that sometimes there is a burst of speed but most often it's dog slow?  Are you running any gigabit equipment? 

Monday, August 25, 2008 1:48 AM
  • It seems to be OK until a record is added & then the redrawing of the display becomes painfully slow. Very weird! Not sure about the gigabyte equipment as this is at a customer site.

Monday, August 25, 2008 7:47 AM
  • I ran into this very thing just after a new server was installed.  The hardware was having issues negotiating between gigabit and the 10/100 nics and switches in their network.  Once they removed all gigabit cards and throttled back to 10/100, the latency went away.

Another thought, are you using filters on large tables?

HTH

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Yes there are filters on some big tables, but they perform fine in other installations and we also tried archiving some history and that did not help.

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Where are the temp files stored?  Does the config.fpw have the temp files set to the local drive? If not, I would suggest doing that to reduce network traffic.

Are you able to use the SET KEY command instead of filters?

I would for sure look at the hardware, specifically if there are any gigabit pieces in the network puzzle.  I assume this affects all workstations?  Try this.  On the workstation closest to the switch, run an ethernet cable (with factory ends if possible) directly from that PC to the switch, by-passing all other hubs, switches and cables. See if that one workstation performs as it should. If it does, than have the hardware folks come in and see where they have problems.

HTH

Monday, August 25, 2008 6:29 PM
  • The temp files are set to the local drive.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 3:26 AM
  • Hello Mr. Ganser

Have you solved the slowness problem related to foxpro running on windows 2008 server.  I have same problem. and I am looking for the solution.

Altun

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:00 PM