none
MSDTC configuration in Azure virtual machine and P2S and S2S difference RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Following is my scenario. I want to have one App Server and SQL DB Server created on Azure as Virtual Machine. Both the VM's should have connectivity between them as Web Services hosted on will talk to SQL Server DB.

Also I need MSDTC to be enabled between Azure App Server VM and DB VM. Do I need to have AD DC configured on App server to be able to use MSDTC on Azure?

Also I have one more PC having SAP applications on premises in my Active Directory and company domain. Now my azure app server should be able to connect to SAP local machine.

Considering this which connectivity should I try - site to site and point to site?

For MSDTC is it must to configure AD DC on azure app server VM?

If yes then can I add my SAP local machine to the same domain? how? Or I dont need to add SAP machine to the domain of App server of Azure VM to make it communicate with Azure VM?

Mark As Answer if it helps you | My Blog

• Edited by kunal chandratre Saturday, February 22, 2014 11:25 AM subject made more descriptive
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:52 PM

Answers

• Kunal,

I did some digging on MSDTC and don't see a hard dependency on Active Directory. However, I won't claim to be an MSDTC expert.

However, I can comment definitively on P2S vs. S2S. In your situation, I would recommend S2S over P2S. Not only is P2S still in Preview (so unsupported), but it also requires you to initiate the connection manually. This means that it isn't really a good solution for a server-based application that requires constant connectivity. Instead, I would recommend S2S since it doesn't recover explicit actions to make the connection in an ongoing fashion.

Regarding the questions about the SAP server, if you do decide to set up S2S, you can definitely join your Azure VMs to your local domain or vice-versa if you have all the appropriate ports open in your firewall. Keep in mind, though, that doing so isn't a requirement unless SAP requires it. You can also communicate across the S2S VPN even if the VMs aren't in the same actual domain. They will be on the same network.

Friday, February 14, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Hi Evan

Thanks for the reply. I too verified that DC is not required for MSDTC configuration and there is no dependency on it. I actually went to create 2 servers on azure virtual machines and configured MSDTC on both of azure virtual machines successfully. If any one interested then here is the detailed post -

http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.com/2014/02/definitive-steps-to-configure-msdtc-on.html

Thanks for the clarification regarding P2S and S2S.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,

Susie

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Kunal,

I did some digging on MSDTC and don't see a hard dependency on Active Directory. However, I won't claim to be an MSDTC expert.

However, I can comment definitively on P2S vs. S2S. In your situation, I would recommend S2S over P2S. Not only is P2S still in Preview (so unsupported), but it also requires you to initiate the connection manually. This means that it isn't really a good solution for a server-based application that requires constant connectivity. Instead, I would recommend S2S since it doesn't recover explicit actions to make the connection in an ongoing fashion.

Regarding the questions about the SAP server, if you do decide to set up S2S, you can definitely join your Azure VMs to your local domain or vice-versa if you have all the appropriate ports open in your firewall. Keep in mind, though, that doing so isn't a requirement unless SAP requires it. You can also communicate across the S2S VPN even if the VMs aren't in the same actual domain. They will be on the same network.

Friday, February 14, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Hi Evan

Thanks for the reply. I too verified that DC is not required for MSDTC configuration and there is no dependency on it. I actually went to create 2 servers on azure virtual machines and configured MSDTC on both of azure virtual machines successfully. If any one interested then here is the detailed post -

http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.com/2014/02/definitive-steps-to-configure-msdtc-on.html

Thanks for the clarification regarding P2S and S2S.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 11:48 AM