Does Windows Mobile 6.1 support machine certificates RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone tell me whether Microsoft's Windows Mobile v6.1 supports machine  certificates . Therefore, each PDA will have a unique machine certificate that allows it to connect to our wireless network.

I understand that Microsoft’s System Center Mobile Device Manager 2008 enables Windows mobile v6.1 devices to join the domain but does this mean machine certificate can be deployed on the devices?

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Rabi
    • Edited by Laperton Monday, December 21, 2009 1:24 PM wrong format
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:22 PM

All replies

• There isn't really a big technical difference between a user certificate and a machine certificate. The parameters in the certificate is dictated by the template.

SCMDM uses machine certificates as part of the enrollment process, and this certificate is used to authenticate the VPN connection.

You'd need either a programmatic way to enroll the device (this is what SCMDM does) or some way for the user to enroll on behalf of the device. In either case you'd need to fire up your Visual Studio, but being in a WM dev forum I suppose that's not an issue :)

As far as WLAN certificates I've had success using user certificates, and I'm not sure how machine certificates works with WLAN because you're prompted to provide a cert when connecting. Now if you were to programmatically do the WLAN provisioning and connection maybe you can avoid this part.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

The question im really asking is
    whether you can use machine certs to authenticate an 802.1x wifi connection. They can be installed on 6.1 but i think they can only be used for vpn.
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 1:00 PM
  • The question im really asking is whether you can use machine certs to authenticate an 802.1x wifi connection. They can be installed on 6.1 but i think they can only be used for vpn.

Has this changed with 6.5?

Is this somewhere documented?

Monday, March 26, 2012 12:48 PM