Visual Studio 2015 and Xamarin -- does it actually work for anyone, out of the box? RRS feed

• Question

• User185564 posted

I am using Xamarin Studio quite successfully for almost a year. I tried to install Visual Studio a number of times, and it simply never really worked for me. Each time, after half-a-day of download resulting in a bunch of weird errors, I am unable to even create and run a blank project.

Last time I tried was yesterday. I installed VS twice thinking that perhaps the first installation was somehow corrupted. There were no error messages after the installation but when I tried to create a blank Xamarin Forms PCL project I got a bunch of error messages.

Could not add all required packages to the project. The following packages failed to install from 'C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 14.0\COMMON7\IDE\EXTENSIONS\XAMARIN\XAMARIN\4.1.0.530\Packages\

Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.0.1.3: Could not install package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.0.1.3'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 'MonoAndroid,Version=2.2', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author.

Similar messages follow for Xamarin.Android.Support.Design.23.0.1.3 and a few other packages. That's when creating a blank project on a fresh installation of the most up-to-date VS, with all the options selected properly before the installation.

After I pressed OK for those messages, the project template was completed, but now I have an error message saying

Xamarin.Android for Visual Studio requires Android SDK. Please install it or set Android SDK path on Toos->Options->Xamarin->Android Settings menu.

I definitely selected Android SDK to install, and I remember seeing it being installed, but now VS has no idea that it was installed.

Am I the only one having this sort of problems?

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:12 AM

Answers

• User180523 posted

The setup process is fairly arduous. It is far from simple or automatic. VS2015 has to install as custom and be sure to install all the cross-platform options that are 'off' by default. Then I still recommend running the latest Xamarin installer on top of that. Then run the VS2013 and VS2015 build tools installers on top of that. (The release notes point out that you need to install them). Then you need to run Android emulator installers... Its a process and "out of the box" really doesn't work/apply if you mean only running the VS2015 installer-there's more to do than just that.

But... Once you have it all going and working it is worth it. I bitch and moan at time, but honestly its damned powerful and very cool to have a our commercial, enterprise-grade application working on a single code base, on 4 platforms with less than 200 lines of platform-specific code - complete with low-level GPS work, REST calls, local db, user-level permissions and a lot more.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:44 PM

All replies

• User124676 posted

Honestly, I've only had it work out of the box one time for me, which was Visual Studio 2015 update 2. Any other time, it would just plain break, and now that were on VS2015 Update 3 surprise!! It's broken again!

Monday, July 25, 2016 2:20 PM
  • User180523 posted

The setup process is fairly arduous. It is far from simple or automatic. VS2015 has to install as custom and be sure to install all the cross-platform options that are 'off' by default. Then I still recommend running the latest Xamarin installer on top of that. Then run the VS2013 and VS2015 build tools installers on top of that. (The release notes point out that you need to install them). Then you need to run Android emulator installers... Its a process and "out of the box" really doesn't work/apply if you mean only running the VS2015 installer-there's more to do than just that.

But... Once you have it all going and working it is worth it. I bitch and moan at time, but honestly its damned powerful and very cool to have a our commercial, enterprise-grade application working on a single code base, on 4 platforms with less than 200 lines of platform-specific code - complete with low-level GPS work, REST calls, local db, user-level permissions and a lot more.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:44 PM
  • User185564 posted

Thanks guys, I was finally able to install VS2015 and run successfully a blank project. However, when I tried to work on a project that was previously developed in Xamarin Studio, I had numerous glitches. There were around 78 errors, most, if not all of them, were CS0103. Like, InitializeComponent() would be underlined, with this error. About a half of these errors suddenly disappeared without me doing anything other than poking around the code, but the other half kept appearing and disappearing but wouldn't go. I also tried to update web tools, at that failed on an obscure reason. The conclusion so far is that VS2015 is terribly buggy, but I will keep trying.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:56 PM