where is properties.settings data getting stored? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I developed a simple application that saves the usernames using application settings (Properties.settings.name) . So, Whenever I load the form it is able to get all the usernames/server names that have been used earlier. Where exactly is this username/server name getting stored, if I am using application settings to save it. I would like to know it as I would like to manually delete certain entries, if necessary.  The application.exe.config contains only the initial values that I have specified for the user/server name at the design time. It won't contain all the user names we used at runtime but somehow it is getting stored somewhere. I am not able to find this data in application.exe.config file (It contains only data that I entered at the design time, not the data I have used while running). I couldn't find any other file which is storing these application setting values.

Can somebody help?

Thanks

Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:03 PM

All replies

• The location of the file is dependent upon the scope of the setting and the type of the application.  Refer to the MSDN topic Application Settings Architecture for the exact paths.  As a general rule however the defaults reside in the application configuration file while user-level settings are stored in the user's profile directory and application-level settings are stored in the All Users directory.  However all this can be changed by your application if needed.

Michael Taylor - 2/17/06

Friday, February 17, 2006 1:13 PM