Windows 8 works great, but select apps don't

Question

• I've installed the developer preview on a Dell inspiron duo laptop/tablet convertable (which I've read is a machine being used in testing at Microsoft), and it all seems to go well.  It installed remarkably easily and works remarkably well for pre-beta software.  Many of the metro apps run with no problems, as well as the RSS feed sample I built from the tutorial.  But Socialite hangs when logging into Facebook, even though my Facebook account shows it has the Socialite application enabled. 

Weather also hangs in trying to open.  It gets past the splash screen, and then on the next screen the circling dots continue forever.  Similarly the News application gets past the splash screen and shows "Loading...", but never finishes.  On these apps, I can still bring up the charms bar or the bottom bar.

Any recommendations about getting these working?  Thanks.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:56 AM

Answers

• Hello vanceg,

There is a known issue with the Socialite app and Microsoft is currently looking into it. So that is not surprising you might be experiencing issues with that Metro app.
    See the thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/abb1d779-3437-487a-8d72-ff357411caeb

Are you using a Windows Live ID account or a local account?
    If you are using a Windows Live ID, try changing to a local account and see if you can get the Metro apps working.

Make sure your screen resolution is at least 1024x768 for Metro Apps to work.
    Next, If you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by vanceg Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:17 PM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:10 PM

All replies

• Firstly , please update Windows and install all update.

Also please post back some detail of your system such as:

Model number

Method you install Windows 8 (upgrade from Windows 7 or format and install (clean install) or run Windows 8 as dual boot)

Internet connection speed

These information will help to reproduce the problem .

Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:13 AM
  • It's a Dell Inspiron Duo model 1090.  It has an Intel Atom N570 CPU and 2GB of RAM.  You can see the machine here:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/landing/en/inspiron?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I installed the 64-bit Windows 8 with dev tools package as a clean install, wiping out the existing Windows 7 installation (from a USB drive, if that is important).  I did not do an upgrade or set it up for dual boot.  I have U-verse, and the tablet is connected via Ethernet to the U-verse connection.  I just measured my connection speed (using the Speakeasy web-based tool) as being 11.52 Mbps download and 1.37 Mbps upload.  I've also tried it across a WiFi connection with the same results.

Other apps, such as the Windows build conference session app, the Stocks app and Internet Explorer all work fine.

Thanks for your help.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:44 AM
  • Also, I did a Windows Update when I installed a couple of days ago, and installed everything.  I just checked for updates again and Windows Update showed that everthing was up-to-date except for a Defender definitions update.  I installed it, but the same behavior persists for Socialite, News and Weather.  Socialite, after I type in my login information twice (not sure why it needs me to do that) says "Logging in..." and the line of "I'm working" dots circulate forever.  Likewise News goes past the splash screen, shows "Loading..." (no circulating dots), and never comes back.  Weather goes past the splash screen to a similar screen, and the dots that go in a circle continue forever.

Thanks for looking at this.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 6:13 AM
  • Hello vanceg,

There is a known issue with the Socialite app and Microsoft is currently looking into it. So that is not surprising you might be experiencing issues with that Metro app.
    See the thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/abb1d779-3437-487a-8d72-ff357411caeb

Are you using a Windows Live ID account or a local account?
    If you are using a Windows Live ID, try changing to a local account and see if you can get the Metro apps working.

Make sure your screen resolution is at least 1024x768 for Metro Apps to work.
    Next, If you have turned off User Account Control, your Metro apps will not work.
    You can check if UAC is enabled here: Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by vanceg Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:17 PM
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Thanks, Marilyn.  Going to a local account solved the problem with News and Weather, and the Socialite problem seems to be the one in the thread you shared.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Weather also hangs in trying to open.

Looks like it's broken too.   What is your location?   FWIW I, in Ottawa CANADA, am getting weather for Anaheim, CA.   Coincidence?   The background image/video looks northern though, lots of cold looking moving clouds and tall pine trees.  <eg>

Oh.  What about the Tile, in Large size?  It apparently would preview information that the app would give.

Also, unlike most other metro apps the Weather one disappears when I switch to Desktop?  E.g. nothing to see via Alt-Tab or by hovering on the left side of the screen once I have switched to Desktop.   Oh. It's flakey.  Sometimes it stays around and sometimes it disappears?   YMMV.   ; )

Oops.   Apparently the Weather app has some options for it at the bottom.   Who knew?   And I have to Allow Location Services?   Did you try that too already?...   Now I've done it.   Adding a new location has put a scrollbar on the bottom which has made the option bar inaccessible.   So I guess now I'm stuck.   Nope.   There's a workaround.   Close the app and then while the Weather app is saying Wait...  grab the options bar and put it into its summary mode, then you lose the scrollbar and can do further customization.   So I suspect, not broken, just quirky, very quirky.    <eg>

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 31, 2011 8:06 PM