SQL Restore Compatible Message RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have an old SQL server we are going to replace with a newer SQL 2005 server.  I backed the databases on the SQL 7 server and restored them to the newer server.  I do not get any error messages on the restore.  But, some of the databases restore have "(6.5 Compatible)" next to their names.  How do I fix this ?  Or do you have a better way to move these databases from old server to the new one?

nick

(cxm)

Nick V. Kosmas

Friday, July 5, 2013 4:54 PM

Answers

• Best practice suggest, In order to migrate your database in 6.5 to SQL Server 2005, you have to migrate first to SQL Server 2000 and then to SQL Server 2005. That can be done either Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Upgrade Wizard

Secondly BCP\DTS option i.e. script the appropriate DDL (Data Definition Language) and DML (Data Manipulation Language) from the SQL Server 6.5 environment and apply the scripts to SQL Server 2000 in the proper order and verify no errors have occurred.

In your case since you already migrated,  try to change the compatibility level

EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel databasename, 90;

GO

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

• Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, July 10, 2013 9:23 AM
    Monday, July 8, 2013 9:09 AM
  • sql server 2005?  You are moving from a completely unsupported version to a barely supported version (at best). 

In 2005 you change the compatibility level using the system stored procedure sp_dbcmptlevel.  You might also be able to use the alter database command (BOL would be the place to verify that).  Apparently some of your databases in sql server 7 were already set to the compatibility level of the prior version.  I'll point out that this is a good time to review (and probably rewrite/redesign) your schema and tsql code to replace obsolete functionality. 

Friday, July 5, 2013 5:32 PM

All replies

• sql server 2005?  You are moving from a completely unsupported version to a barely supported version (at best). 

In 2005 you change the compatibility level using the system stored procedure sp_dbcmptlevel.  You might also be able to use the alter database command (BOL would be the place to verify that).  Apparently some of your databases in sql server 7 were already set to the compatibility level of the prior version.  I'll point out that this is a good time to review (and probably rewrite/redesign) your schema and tsql code to replace obsolete functionality. 

Friday, July 5, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Best practice suggest, In order to migrate your database in 6.5 to SQL Server 2005, you have to migrate first to SQL Server 2000 and then to SQL Server 2005. That can be done either Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Upgrade Wizard

Secondly BCP\DTS option i.e. script the appropriate DDL (Data Definition Language) and DML (Data Manipulation Language) from the SQL Server 6.5 environment and apply the scripts to SQL Server 2000 in the proper order and verify no errors have occurred.

In your case since you already migrated,  try to change the compatibility level

EXEC sp_dbcmptlevel databasename, 90;

GO

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Monday, July 8, 2013 9:09 AM