small basic prime editor - deleted files - active file tab color RRS feed

• Question

• I have problems with colors ... 

It's hard to see, when multiple files are open in the prime editor, to see the active one.

I don't see the difference in the tabs between "very pale blue" and "very blue pale" ...

and as you know when you are making some changes and you don't have really some time, you just close the "modified" file, losing sometimes hours of work and testing. It's just a click and ... probably too late to recover the file as i can't find them back in the MS-deleted file directory.   Is there not a possibility to have the active tab in Yellow or another "visible" color ? 

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 9:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Could try changing color, personally I don't like but Advanced|IDE Colours and set Main Window-Background to a darker colour.  Active window is clearer a bit. 

Better still - get in the habit of regular saving and maybe multiple versions so you can compare with previous and go back if you need.  Programmers do this all the time.

Also, if the file has been modified it asks you if you are sure - again get the habit of taking this question seriously (stop - think - decide) every time you see it.  You should't close a window you want unsaved data if you are saving regularly - I never work more than a couple of min before saving as I work.

Absolutely nothing worse than loosing work you have done - I usually have a back-up as well!

• Edited by litdev Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eddy Abts Thursday, March 12, 2020 8:48 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Eddy Abts, my idea is to open modifying file with SB Prime and others with SB Desktop.

Nonki Takahashi

Thursday, March 12, 2020 1:32 PM
  • Hi,

Could try changing color, personally I don't like but Advanced|IDE Colours and set Main Window-Background to a darker colour.  Active window is clearer a bit. 

Better still - get in the habit of regular saving and maybe multiple versions so you can compare with previous and go back if you need.  Programmers do this all the time.

Also, if the file has been modified it asks you if you are sure - again get the habit of taking this question seriously (stop - think - decide) every time you see it.  You should't close a window you want unsaved data if you are saving regularly - I never work more than a couple of min before saving as I work.

Absolutely nothing worse than loosing work you have done - I usually have a back-up as well!

• Edited by litdev Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eddy Abts Thursday, March 12, 2020 8:48 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:42 PM
  • Hello Litdev ! Ok great - it's a marvelous solution !  once more a reason to have manuals but it's nice to have the forum. it's part of "programmers dialecte", easy to understand if you just have an example or some words of explanation. I thought IDE-colours was just for artists and painting programs  ...

Never to old to learn ... Working on a main program it's sometimes difficult to find the right syntax making me nervous  so I am opening a screen to create a small example , etc but deleting the main program in stead of the example !  Is it possible to change automatically the colour of text you are changing in a program ? as in some texteditors ? 

I was trying (half of a day) an easy (stupid) command in a for next loop and it wasn't working - for one or another reason some files were not added, such as  the file ...programfiles\0389X-EXECUTECHOICE.sb   I will still try to find out the reason, probably a msdos problem but this is  another question but replacing the "0" by an "A" is working ... so I changed the names ... 

file.appendcontents(newfile,file.readcontents(FileToAppend))

thanks for your help !!!!!
    • Edited by Eddy Abts Thursday, March 12, 2020 9:40 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2020 9:10 PM
  • Not quite sure if this helps but you can have 2 windows open with a split screen and these two screens can show differences in them both.

So one way to work is to save the one on the left, copy it to the right to work - show difference if you want - the difference continue to be highlighted a you edit, then save the one on the right and work on the left one - people all work differently.

But the essential is save often and don't be afraid to keep previous versions - you can always delete them when everything is finished.

• Edited by litdev Friday, March 13, 2020 7:45 PM
    Friday, March 13, 2020 7:35 PM
  • hey Litdev 

nice solution ! Just another hint ... mainly the problem is that the filenames in the tabulators changes from one tab to another when I am removing the testprograms. bof ... It's finally the main reason I am removing sometimes  the original program. 

Sunday, March 22, 2020 9:20 AM