How to setup - Email Approval for a business process application RRS feed

• Question

• User2138276305 posted

Hello All,

I am preparing an application which is a request - approval system. Currently the application is on Internet. My task is to move the application to Company's Local VPN Network. Situation is when any approver receives email in Mobile Phone, he/she click on a link in the mail-body, it opens in Mobile's browser with the supplied URL path, and the approver clicks on Approve/Reject button to take his desired action instantly.

After moving the application to Company's VPN network, it will not be possible to open the Webpage in Mobile devices due to VPN restrictions, hence there is another technology required - Email Reply with desired action (Approve/Reject).

What I can do is - can make 2 links with mailto:  (to set the predefined To, Subject, Body) for Approve or Reject in mail body.

Please Note: We have Lotus Notes as mail platform, and using its SMTP service to relay emails to users.

I could not find the satisfactory solution to setup incoming email in IIS or lotus server and next step would be trigger function when any new mail is there.

If above is possible with Lotus Notes or can I setup any new custom email on local server of IIS, Please support me...

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:41 AM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

I could not find the satisfactory solution to setup incoming email in IIS or lotus server and next step would be trigger function when any new mail is there.

If above is possible with Lotus Notes or can I setup any new custom email on local server of IIS, Please support me...

You can setup IIS to use SMTP to place incoming email in a directory.  You could use a Windows service to forward the email to Lotus Notes from the directory used by IIS using SMPT, triggered by FileWatcher.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 12:37 PM
  • User2138276305 posted

I was exactly trying to figure out the way how to -"setup IIS to use SMTP to place incoming email in a directory" where email will come from users (Lotus Notes Users) reply.

Can you please guide me how to setup this IIS to use SMTP to place incoming email in a directory, then we can try to make some service to trigger a function to process the email information.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:41 AM
  • User1120430333 posted

Your best option is to post the IIS forum and let them help you.

https://forums.iis.net/

Thursday, December 28, 2017 7:20 AM
  • User2138276305 posted

Hi, <br>
    I also assumed same, hence posted this requirement on IIS forum before this forum... and see the reply please...<br>
    https://forums.iis.net/t/1237700.aspx
    <br>
    Now please confirm where should I go?
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 1:54 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

Hi, <br>
    I also assumed same, hence posted this requirement on IIS forum before this forum... and see the reply please...<br>
    https://forums.iis.net/t/1237700.aspx
    <br>
    Now please confirm where should I go?

Sorry, after looking at this,  IIS is for sending email via a SMTP server, which cannot receive emails. 

You do have INotes, which can be setup for HTTPS to encrypt emails I suuspect, since you have issues with a VPN setup for uses outside the domain of a protected network.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:42 PM
  • User2138276305 posted
    Thanks for understanding my exact needs.
    As per your confirmation, I understand that its not possible to setup incoming mail in IIS, i cannot setup approval by mail reply using Lotus Notes.

is there any third party tool setup possible to perform the need (considering VPN and Lotus Notes Setup)? if yes any reference....
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:22 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

As per your confirmation, I understand that its not possible to setup incoming mail in IIS, i cannot setup approval by mail reply using Lotus Notes.

is there any third party tool setup possible to perform the need (considering VPN and Lotus Notes Setup)? if yes any reference....

You could look into iNotes. You can also post to a Lotus Notes forum.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:50 PM