Migration From 2008R2 to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am migrating my DB to Azure. Now the requirement is :

• I dont want to shut down R2.
    • I want to use this as similar to <Active-Passive mode> that is when Azure is down R2 should be up and when R2 is down Azure should be up.
    • For this I want a simple audit table which records the changes done in my R2 or azure what ever is up <in required tables>, For example if an update is run on the table I need to store the PK of updated row and "Update" in Operation column. If an insert is done then PK of that row and "Insert" in Operation and Simalar others.
    • This is similar to 'Always On - HA' feature of 2012 RC0. (I cant create a new instance of RC0)
    • The audit table will be used for knowing the operations done and replicating these in the instance which is currently in down mode, so that I always get recent updated records in the tables.
    • I am using a trigger methodology for this, but knowing the performances of Triggers, I dont want to use that.

Please suggest alternative scenarios for solutions.

If I am not clear in my requirement. Please ask.

Thanks.

Himanshu Sharma

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

We can have a disaster recovery solution for  SQL Server databases in a hybrid-IT environment using AlwaysOn Availability Groups, database mirroring, log shipping, and backup and restore with Windows Azure blog storage.
    For example, in a AlwaysOn Availability Groups, some availability replicas running in Windows Azure VMs and other replicas running on-premise for cross-site disaster recovery.
    Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj870959.aspx

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:31 AM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Liu, My base DB is 2008 R2, So Always On AG is not an option for me.

Please mark my reply as an Answer if it Solved your problem. Vote it if it helped you.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:17 AM