none
Hosting the web application of an office app in IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I was trying to change the hosting of the web application of an office app (Excel task pane app) from IISExpress to IIS. But when I make all the changes and then try to debug my application, it reports an error and the app does not load into Excel. When I check the fiddler logs, I see that it is still trying to connect to the IISExpress url (with a port number and everything). But I already changed the hosting of the project.

Anything I'm missing here? Please advise.

Thanks,
    Shahnaz.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Shahnaz,

This is supposed to work, sorry you are running into issues.  Can you try a couple of things?

1. Try a Build | Clean of the project and try again

2. Try a new project to see if the problem is related to your project or to the tools in general.

Thanks,

Jim

• Marked as answer by inahs Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:56 PM

All replies

• What's the error? Generally, when you want to change server URL while debugging, you go to VS web application project property page, > Web > Server . Specify the server which you want.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Apologies for the delay in getting back on this thread. I'll try to be more prompt with my answers now.

Errors wise, within the excel app, I get an error saying "APP ERROR A problem occurred while trying to reach this app". In fiddler, I get a http 502 result but under the HOST column, you can see that it is still trying to go to the IIS Express URL (with the port).

This is how my web server configuration looks now:

And this is the fiddler trace:

As you can see, the app is still trying to connect to the IIS Express URL instead of trying to connect to the IIS hosted web application. If I check the "Use IIS Express" checkbox under the "Use Local IIS Web server" radio option, then everything works fine. I'm trying to understand what other changes do I need to make to get the app to connect to the IIS hosted web application instead of the IIS Express based one when debugging.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks,
    Shahnaz.

Monday, November 5, 2012 8:05 PM
  • IIS Express is instaleld by Visual Studio, did you install separate IIS?

What's expected URL for IIS Express?

What's expected URL for IIS?

What if you specify the server "Use Custom Web Server"?

thanks.

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:42 AM
  • Yes, I do have IIS installed on the box. I can also see the vRoot created in IIS when I switch the web server.

The URL you see in the fiddler trace is actually the IIS Express URL - with port number 58436.

The regular IIS URL should NOT have the port number. But for some reason, even after I switch the app to use IIS for hosting, when I debug the app, it tries to connect to IIS Express URL. But now IIS Express is not running (since I already switched the web server) and the app fails to load.

My question is, why is the app still trying to connect to the IIS Express URL when I changed the app to use IIS itself for hosting. Hope this makes it all clear.

Thanks,
    Shahnaz.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hi Shahnaz - in Visual Studio - can you select the web project and deploy it? Then save it, then debug run the app - does that pick up the new URL?

I'm looping in Visual Studio so they can see what is going on...

..pc

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:53 PM
  • No Patrick, that didn't help.

Also, my debug vRoot & the deployment vRoot are different - not sure if you were expecting them to be the same.

Thanks,
    Shahnaz.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:34 AM
  • Thanks Shahnaz - the VS team are looking into this and will let me know/loop back to this thread soon.

Cheers..pc

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Hi Shahnaz,

This is supposed to work, sorry you are running into issues.  Can you try a couple of things?

1. Try a Build | Clean of the project and try again

2. Try a new project to see if the problem is related to your project or to the tools in general.

Thanks,

Jim

• Marked as answer by inahs Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Clean & Rebuilding did the trick. Thanks for the help guys. Should have tried that first I guess.

Shahnaz.

Thursday, November 8, 2012 6:25 PM