Keywords. Expression web 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1 small little question,

I need to know, where i type in the ''Keywords'' for when someone types in google or some other search engine, for my site to come out.

exemple : if someone types in google ''Burger'' i want my site to appear in the list.

I think i found it, but im not sure, Right click on each page, click on page properties, in the first tab in General, theres ''keywords'' is that it??

My teacher said it must be done in the code,  is that true??

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• It can also be done via Page Properties.

Right click a page in Design View or Split View and select 'Page Properties'. Select 'Custom'. Go to the 'User Variables' section and click Add. In the Name box enter 'keywords' then in the value box add your keywords. Then OK, OK.

Be aware that keywords are far less important than they used to be and having them makes very little if any difference. The search engines place almost total emphasis on page content.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:39 PM

All replies

• It can also be done via Page Properties.

Right click a page in Design View or Split View and select 'Page Properties'. Select 'Custom'. Go to the 'User Variables' section and click Add. In the Name box enter 'keywords' then in the value box add your keywords. Then OK, OK.

Be aware that keywords are far less important than they used to be and having them makes very little if any difference. The search engines place almost total emphasis on page content.

HTH

Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:39 PM
  • ok thanx alot :)

I wont do the keywords then.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Your teacher is not qualified to teach (at least as regards SEO issues) if s/he thinks that using keyword metadata will improve your Google ranking. Google, in the person of Matt Cutts, has made this clear:

'Google doesn’t use the "keywords" meta tag in our web search ranking.'

"Our web search (the well-known search at Google.com that hundreds of millions of people use each day) disregards keyword metatags completely."

"They simply don’t have any effect in our search ranking at present."

and

"Even though we sometimes use the description meta tag for the snippets we show, we still don’t use the description meta tag in our ranking."

You will still want to have good description meta, because as stated, that is what will be shown as a snippet with your search result. But, it won't contribute to page rank (with Google), nor will keyword metadata. See http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/keywords-meta-tag-in-web-search/ for a video confirming this information.

That said, if you must do this to satisfy an instructor, regardless of their competence in requiring it, yes, you can do that in Page Properties, or you can do it in code (which is what the entries in Page Properties become when you save your changes. Look at the markup in the <head> section to see what I mean. For example, enter "these, are, stupid" in the Keywords box, and after saving your changes you will see '<meta name="keywords" content="these, are, stupid" />' appear in the <head>.

<edit> After re-reading your post, I may have done your teacher a disservice. I had at first taken it to mean that the teacher had required this. Upon re-reading, it appears that they only advised you that what you wanted to do had to be done in code. Although that does indicate that they do not understand the capabilities of the EW U/I, it does not imply a lack of understanding of SEO. </edit>

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:52 PM
  • ok thanx alot :)

I wont do the keywords then.

FWIW, you should be marking Ian's post or whoever it is that provided the answer not yours as the answer since folks searching the forum will get the post marked "answer" first and yours makes no sense in that context.
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:01 PM
  • There is an important reason to use keywords in a page! To keep clients from asking "where are my keywords?" :-)
    Rick Dieffenbach
    www.WebsiteReviewTutorials.com
    A do-it-your website improvement resource
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:37 AM