Managing free / paid app versions? A little help please. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

New in much of this app pub thing but I'm in need of some help/clarification.

I wrote a free version of an app that carries some ads in it. I decided to make a paid version of the app also, with no ads. My app saves files to the phone and loads them at start.

If I do a paid version and I get an all new appid, how do I ensure if someone decides they want to go to the paid version, that they don't lose all the stuff they've saved in the free versions area? How would I ensure they can access their old stuff?

I hope my question's clear, and I apologize if I'm repeating a question, I did a search and didn't find anything clear to this.

Friday, January 18, 2013 8:29 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the replies.

I decided to go a route I found in the Dev forums and elsewhere. Since It's nothing that will ever really need an external DB, I've gone the in-app purchase route.

I set up a product for my app and when the user buys it, I simply check for the purchase and remove the ads. This way I only manage one piece of code (as said in the forums).

However thanks a lot for passing on the Skydrive SDK, I think I will still implement it in some way for another feature.

• Marked as answer by Rkay-9 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:35 AM

All replies

• In short you can't (directly).

Isolated Storage is just that, isolated from everything else.

Windows phone 7 doesn't allow app to app communication, on WP8 check out this link:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj206987(v=vs.105).aspx

Another solution is using a remote webservice to store your data app temporarily.

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:32 PM
  • As stated above your free and paid versions cannot share the same data on the phone...

A good solution would be to look into the skydrive SDK.. you could save the data to the user's skydrive account...

Monday, January 21, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Thanks for the replies.

I decided to go a route I found in the Dev forums and elsewhere. Since It's nothing that will ever really need an external DB, I've gone the in-app purchase route.

I set up a product for my app and when the user buys it, I simply check for the purchase and remove the ads. This way I only manage one piece of code (as said in the forums).

However thanks a lot for passing on the Skydrive SDK, I think I will still implement it in some way for another feature.

• Marked as answer by Rkay-9 Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:35 AM