none
Problem with VS Dialog editor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    very strange problem.

I'm developing a Win32 app for WinCE600R2, i inserted some dialog boxes i can populate with the DialogEditor.

I open a dialog, I add a label with a certain ID. When i compile the project i have the errors:

BUILD: [01:0000000034:ERRORE] C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\XX12YF_OsDesign\XX12YF_OsDesign\TestWin32\.\XX12yf.rc(61) : error RC2112 : BEGIN expected in dialog
    BUILD: [01:0000000036:ERRORE] C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\XX12YF_OsDesign\XX12YF_OsDesign\TestWin32\.\XX12yf.rc(61) : error RC2135 : file not found: 0x0
    BUILD: [01:0000000038:ERRORE] C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\XX12YF_OsDesign\XX12YF_OsDesign\TestWin32\.\XX12yf.rc(63) : error RC2135 : file not found:
    BUILD: [01:0000000040:ERRORE] C:\WINCE600\OSDesigns\XX12YF_OsDesign\XX12YF_OsDesign\TestWin32\.\XX12yf.rc(64) : error RC2135 : file not found:

Then i open the rc file as text file and i found:

IDD_TEST_BL DIALOGEX 0, 0, 210, 129

STYLE DS_SETFONT | DS_FIXEDSYS | WS_POPUP | WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU

CAPTION

"Backlight and dimming test"

FONT 8,

"MS Shell Dlg", 0, 0, 0x0

BEGIN

LTEXT

"",IDC_LABEL1,7,10,94,13,0,WS_EX_STATICEDGE

CONTROL

"",IDC_SLIDER1,"msctls_trackbar32",TBS_TOP | WS_TABSTOP,7,91,196,31

LTEXT

"",IDC_LABEL_BL,7,37,94,13,0,WS_EX_STATICEDGE

END

The row containing the FONT declaration is uncorrect !

Anyone had it ??

Thanks

SteMMo"Backlight and dimming test"
    Monday, July 26, 2010 1:19 PM

All replies

• It's just a guess, as I've never seen that, but I wonder if you've edited the resource with an editor that is not Windows CE-targeted.  That is, if you're editing the resources with an editor that thinks it's targeting the desktop, it might use different settings.  Are you doing this on desktop Windows XP for English?  Another possibility is the language...

Paul T.

Monday, July 26, 2010 3:01 PM
  • I'm using the Dialog Editor on the VS2005 for a WinCE subproject app.

I hope the VS will choose the correct dialog editor ...

SteMMo
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:44 PM
  • And my other queries?

Paul T.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:21 PM
  • When I open the rc file as text file the editor ask me to normaliza the line endings to CR+LF.

The rources are surrounded by the lines:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// Italian (Italy) resources

#if

!defined(AFX_RESOURCE_DLL) || defined(AFX_TARG_ITA)

#ifdef

_WIN32

LANGUAGE LANG_ITALIAN, SUBLANG_ITALIAN

#pragma

code_page(1252)

#endif

//_WIN32

Again: when I insert a new control, a new ID is not inserted into the rource file as a numerical value...

SteMMo
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:49 PM
  • It seems there is a misalignment between the resource files: i have both resource.(nothing) and resource.h !

When I inserted the new control the editor put the new IDC into the resource.(nothing) but the source files are using resource.h !

SteMMo
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Each time i modify a resource and save, in the xyx.rc file I see #include "resource." even if I changed to #include "resource.h" !!
    SteMMo
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:35 PM
  • I'm not sure how it got itself screwed up, but the resource definitions themselves should be in <projectname>.rc and the declarations of the values that should be shared between the RC and C/C++ portions of the program (the identifiers for resources), should be in resource.h.  I'd be tempted to start over and create a new subproject, throwing away the old one and copy/paste the code from the old source files into the new.

Paul T.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:59 PM
  • I created a new project moving *.rc, *.h *.cpp but the first time I saved the resources I fall back to the same errors:

- ask me to convert line endings to CRLF

- write '#include "resource." into the resource.rc

- write a wrong FONT command

SteMMo
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:05 PM
  • I'm thinking "XP language", again.  You still haven't said if you're running English XP or something else.  If you are running English XP, my only advice at this point is to uninstall Visual Studio completely and reinstall it.  If you're running something else, we might find someone who can help short-circuit that lengthy process.

Paul T.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 3:09 PM