D12 v2 - Adding an unmanaged standard disk RRS feed

• Question

• I will apologize in advance for the basic question, but I am very new to Azure.

I have just provisioned a D12_V2 VM. It is configured to use unmanaged disks.

I was under the impression I could add individual data disks to the VM with sizes up to 4095GB. This site seems to support that;
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-scalability-targets

So, I have my VM up and running and I go to add a data disk (Standard HDD) , and it seems I am only able to add a disk up to 1023GB.

What am I missing?

Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:31 PM

Answers

• Looks like we are currently updating the UI in all regions to allow larger disk in the UI (ETA is today 6/22 4pm PST). PS should work in any case

Thanks Peter

• Marked as answer by Michael_Hauck Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:05 PM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:02 PM

All replies

• it doesn't support Azure portal yet, you need to use Azure PowerShell command to created Data disks.

you can reference follow link:

https://www.petri.com/single-data-disks-4tb-azure-virtual-machines

Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Can you try to enter 4095 GB in the disk size?  IOPS should switch to 7500 IOPS and 250MB. Note that it is 2048 and 4095 (not 4096GB).  Larger disks are available for HDD and SSD. See

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/managed-disks/ 

If it does not work, please let us know which region you are running the VM/disk

Thanks Peter

Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:02 PM
  • Thank you Sifusun. I will attempt to do this using PS.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Peter -
    Entering 4095 doesn't work. I am using East US.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Interesting - I just tried it in East US (running on a MSDN subscription), and I was able to create a 4095 disk size.  The difference is that I'm using managed disks (also using Resource Manager not Classic)

Can you switch to managed disks and try again?

Thanks Peter

Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:39 PM
  • To add: larger disks are supported via Portal or PS, and as managed and unmanaged. However, only Resource Manager (no classic)

Thanks Peter

Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:44 PM
  • Interesting. 
    I did use Resource Manager to provision this VM, so I am not sure what is going on. 

I am attempting to create the disk using PS right now. Either way I think I will open a ticket with MS to see why I cannot create the disk in the portal. 

Thursday, June 22, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Looks like we are currently updating the UI in all regions to allow larger disk in the UI (ETA is today 6/22 4pm PST). PS should work in any case

Thanks Peter

• Marked as answer by Michael_Hauck Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:05 PM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Excellent! Thank you for the information.

BTW, PS worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Michael_Hauk,Did you solve your issues --> was my post helpful --> If so can you mark me as the answer it would really help me out.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:47 PM