none
Is it possible to use ASP.NET as an Azure push notification client? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Azure Mobile Services and push notifications with a Windows 8 application.  I plan to add WP8, IOS, and Android clients.  However I also want to have a web client.  I can easily connect to Azure Mobile Services but I can't figure out how to get the push notifications to work.

Is there a way to use ASP.NET as a push notifications client?  I couldn't figure out how to register a channel either on the asp.net server or with javascript/singalr on the client.  Either way would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

blog - http://www.codesmartnothard.com

Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, Mobile service push notification only stand by mobile clients. For web clients, we need to use an alternative solution, such as WCF (for server side ASP.NET) or WebSocket (for client side HTML 5).

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

Please be aware SingalR is built on top of WebSocket (and added polling features to support old browsers which do not stand by WebSocket). As far as I know, it won't work for mobile clients unless you're building HTML 5 mobile applications. Actually each device platform (especially Windows, iOS, Andriod) has its own push notification service, which is quite different from each other. What mobile service does is to simplify the development tasks. It is still needed to call a different API for each device platform (such as push.mpns.sendFlipTile for Windows, push.apns.send for iOS, and push.gcm.send for Android). However, you can use object model rather than dealing with raw xml. You can create a single object, and call 3 different (albeit similar) APIs to send it to different devices.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, Mobile service push notification only stand by mobile clients. For web clients, we need to use an alternative solution, such as WCF (for server side ASP.NET) or WebSocket (for client side HTML 5).

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:09 AM
  • Hi Ming,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm going to hold out a little longer and see if anyone has figured out a way to make this work. 

If not, I'm going to try using Microsoft Data Sync to sync to a local copy of the SQL Azure database.  From there I should be able to use SqlDependency and register notifications using SignalR.  I don't think WCF or WebSockets will work because I need the notifications to work across mobile devices and the web client.

Thanks,

Mike

blog - http://www.codesmartnothard.com

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Hi,

Please be aware SingalR is built on top of WebSocket (and added polling features to support old browsers which do not stand by WebSocket). As far as I know, it won't work for mobile clients unless you're building HTML 5 mobile applications. Actually each device platform (especially Windows, iOS, Andriod) has its own push notification service, which is quite different from each other. What mobile service does is to simplify the development tasks. It is still needed to call a different API for each device platform (such as push.mpns.sendFlipTile for Windows, push.apns.send for iOS, and push.gcm.send for Android). However, you can use object model rather than dealing with raw xml. You can create a single object, and call 3 different (albeit similar) APIs to send it to different devices.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:28 AM