none
Cannot insert WebBrowser in 2016 excel for use in VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very big file that always use a WebBrowser active x control and so, replacing it is not really an option here

There's a workaround for enabling an active x control that is disable in office 2013 and later.

Written here:  tap on google this: Cannot insert certain Scriptable ActiveX controls into office 2013

The first link is what suppose to work.

I already change the registry key but it doesn't work.

Now the weird part is:

my registry key is not at the right place. (maybe because 2016 32bits click to run install on 32 bits win7, yet, I have use the sub folder 16.0)

The site ask for:

...LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/16.0/ClickToRun/REGISTRY/MACHINE/Software/Miscrosoft/Office/16.0/Common/...

I have on my registry something a little different for the location of the keys

...LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/ClickToRun/REGISTRY/MACHINE/...

See here, Not the same, I have a feeling that because it is different, that's why even if I change the default value that refuse

this active x control, well, it doesn't apply since the system doesn't find it.

How to solve that?

Friday, July 21, 2017 2:18 PM

Answers

• It really is a GPO problem, for the WebBrowser and the DTPicker control.

I'll come back if I know what GPO causing this, but hopefully, that will already help a 100 people out there.

My alert for questions

• Marked as answer by ct2651 Friday, September 1, 2017 2:11 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 2:11 PM

All replies

• Hi ct2651,

I try to make a test with Excel 2016 (Click to run) and try to change the registry key.

please follow the below path in registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\COM Compatibility\{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}

change the value of 'Compatibilty Flags' , 'REG_DWORD' to 000000 like below.

then try to open the Excel Application.

go to 'Developer' Tab. click to 'Insert' controls.

click on 'More Controls'.

find 'Web Browser' Control and Add it.

try add VBA code to open any web page on button click.

Option Explicit
    Dim WithEvents ie As WebBrowser

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
      Set ie = ActiveSheet.WebBrowser1
          ie.Navigate2 "http://microsoft.com/"

End Sub

and run the code.

you can see in my output, I can add the Web browser control and can use it.

Output:

you can try to follow the steps to solve the issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 12:53 AM
  • Well, it is not in the Sub folder Wow6432 since I am in 32 bits office and 32 bits windows 7.

Here's the link that I have followed already, I changed that key but like I said, the path differs a bit

I can't post a link yet, so follow these instruction to find the page...

tap on google this: Cannot insert certain Scriptable ActiveX controls into office 2013

Is it possible that because the path of the key differ a bit, office don't find it and I need to reinstall since there may be a problem with the registry placement.?

Monday, July 24, 2017 12:25 PM
  • Small precision here,

I have already changed the registry key at that path to zero.

I already have a working excel with an instance of the webBrowser in 2007.

That same file in 2016 erase the webbrowser even after the key change.

I know already about the more controls menu, I already found the webbrowser in it, when I try to add it it still says after the registry key change, "subject is not trusted for specified action".

This message shouldn't be there if the compatibility flag is 0.

Monday, July 24, 2017 12:41 PM
  • Image of your registry keys

Does the ActivationfilterOverride is important, I don't have this property in my class ID keys.

It does tell by the name of it to override anything else related to this instance with the value of the flag.

Maybe I need to add that?

Monday, July 24, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Hi ct2651,

I have a Windows 7 machine on which I have installed Office 2013.

which have the same issue when I make a test.

it is not adding the web browser control.

so I try to change the registry key in Windows 7 and it works for me.

below is the path for registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\COM Compatibility\{8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2} 

you need to just change the 15.0 to 16.0 because you are using Office 2016.

change the value of 'Compatibilty Flags' , 'REG_DWORD' to 000000 like below.

after changing it again make a test in Excel.

let me know about your testing result.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Yeah, on my work machine that is a VM, I have found the registry key and changed it, no luck...

Even more weird, I have office 2016 at house, and changing the key doesn't seem to change a thing...

I mean that my key was set to 400 (1024) even if I could add the web browser to an excel 2016 VBA form.

This key doesn't seem to work well it seems.

My alert for registry key webbrowser

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Hi ct2651,

you had mentioned that,"This key doesn't seem to work well it seems."

I try to test the key on my side by changing the value.

when the value is 400 it will not allow you to add the control.

when value is 0, it will allow you to add the control.

can you show us by posting the picture like I done before.

so that we can see which exact location you are trying to change the key.

I also have virtual machine and I made a test with Windows 10 and Windows 7.

I find that key is working properly on my side.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, July 27, 2017 5:11 AM
  • first of all, I need to be able to link or put image on this site, let me test If I can now...

(I already ask Microsoft in the right forum or blog post.)

Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:45 PM
  • Ok, I'll put the image today.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:46 PM
  • My problem wasn't link to the register key.

It just work on someone else machine that doesn't have the same security setting as mine, but still the same key value.

Something in the security settings is making the WebBrowser unavailable to users.

It could be Group Policies, the packaging of the deployment, things like that.

If I have more details, I will come back to you.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:37 PM
  • These are the asked images (32 bits win7, 32 bit office click to run, Persistant VDI connexion)

No other key linked to office are present in the registry.

the same CSID key is present for internet explorer and the dword is set to 0x00000021.

The activationFilter Override was added after the first non working test, so it doesn't change the result.

Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:17 PM
  • Hi ct2651,

it is possible that this issue occurs due to security settings or Group policies.

you can try to update it and again try to make a test to check whether the issue is solved or not.

also you can try to inform us about your settings. so that we can try to check on our side.

you can try to visit links below to get some more information.

New feature in Office 2016 can block macros and help prevent infection

Use Group Policy to disable user interface items and shortcut keys in Office 2013

Enable or disable ActiveX settings in Office files

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Friday, July 28, 2017 6:22 AM
  • trusted center options

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:53 PM
  • the dll file location and advanced option of office

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:54 PM
  • thank you for your testing offer.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Hi ct2651,

I can see in your previous reply you posted some snapshots of settings.

do you mean by following that steps you solved the issue?

you just posted the snapshots but did not wrote any description regarding that.

if that solved your issue then I suggest you to mark that reply as an answer.

so that we can close this thread.

this thread is still open and will remain open until you mark the answer.

if you want to say something else by posting those snapshots then kindly let us know about that by updating the status of this thread.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 2:53 AM
  • Actually, no, M. Deepak just ask this

also you can try to inform us about your settings. so that we can try to check on our side.

So these settings are for your testing, thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Hi ct2651,

I check the settings mentioned by you.

I find that all that settings are 'Trust center' settings.

I don't think because of this settings you are not able to add web browser control.

I still think that may be because of the group policy it is causing this issue.

so you can try to check it.

on my side I just change the registry value and it start working. I did not make any other change in any settings.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 6:38 AM
  • thank you, at least now, I know that these options settings inside of excel 2016 don't do a thing to this active x.

For the group policies and possible corrupted registry, well, I don't have the rights to change or test them.

Another technician that can change them and test these things is going through it at the moment, if he find the cause in the possible corruption of the registry or some precise group policy, I'll come back here telling the solution.

If you want to try something else, put the Dword in question to zero to make the webbrowser work, and try to unable it by playing with the group policies.

if you find something that overwrite this registry key, then we may have something important.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 12:16 PM
  • this thread is not dead, I will put the solution when we will find out, still investigating.

My alert for questions

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Hi ct2651,

did you try to make a test with group policies and registry? as you had mentioned in your last post?

if yes, can you inform us about the results.

also let us know about your latest testing approach.

if possible then we will also try to make a test on our side and let you know about the result.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:55 AM
  • I have no news from the people that can modify the registry or the group Policy yet.

What I do know is the fact the the MSI installation seems to accept the registry key change to make excel accept the webbrowser.

It somewhat not work on click to run installation with the latest tests.

I'll keep this thread alive and will give you feedback when I get more. 

My alert for questions

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 12:39 PM
  • Well, Something new on the table.

We have two testing environment, one with MSI, the other with Click-to-run.

the MSI version accept the WebBrowser, the click to run don't accept it even with the key registry change.

the technician affirm that the group policies for both are th same.

have any ideas I may need to test next?

My alert for questions

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:35 PM
  • When an enterprise do a packaging of office 365 click to run, does the packaging must be done in advance with the regisry key at 0.

At the moment, the key is always at 400 in a new installation that come from the package.

My alert for questions

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 4:58 PM
  • There's also in the registry Inside of Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClicktoRun\PropertyBag

Version at: 15.0.9999.9999

Does this enter in conflict.

My alert for questions

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:06 PM
  • Forget about all the posts before.

I just tried something with the one people that control the GPO here.

The webBrowser by his setting while we were testing it was working.

We have done a gpupdate /force to put back the default settings we had.

The web browser can't be add again.

We now know there's an option in the GPO that block this ActiveX whatever registry you have.

I'll tell you what option does that.

My alert for questions

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:07 PM
  • Hi ct2651,

in your some recent posts , you had mentioned that when you make the changes in the registry.

it is working with MSO Excel but it is not working with Click to run Excel on Windows 7 OS.

here, I have Excel 2013 MSO installed on Windows 7.

and as you said when I make a change in registry I am able to add the Web Browser Control.

but I don't have a click to run version on Windows 7.

so I am not able to make a test with click to run on Windows 7.

I am available with click to run version of Office 2010 , 2013 and 2016 on Windows 10.

I had made the test with Excel 2013 ,2016 click to run on Windows 10 and I am able to add the Web Browser Control when I make change in registry.

so if you are available with Windows 10 then you can try to make a test on your side to verify the same.

in your last post you had mentioned that you had modify the option in GPO and it was working and when you set the default setting it is not working.

so if by modifying that option in GPO solves your issue then I suggest to keep the modified settings in GPO.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:48 AM
  • I'm going to come back when I know what GPO the problem was cause by.

At least we know that the GPO bypass the registry for now

My alert for questions

Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:14 PM
  • It really is a GPO problem, for the WebBrowser and the DTPicker control.

I'll come back if I know what GPO causing this, but hopefully, that will already help a 100 people out there.

My alert for questions

• Marked as answer by ct2651 Friday, September 1, 2017 2:11 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

I was able to fix mine by creating the path as shown below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\COM Compatibility\<ClassID>

Also you need to set all the following keys "Compatiblity Flags -> DWORD to zero

The following ClassIDs are affected by this issue:
    Description ClassID
    Web Browser Control {8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}
    Microsoft Scriptlet Component {AE24FDAE-03C6-11D1-8B76-0080C744F389}
    HTML Editing Control {25336920-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13}
    {25336921-03F9-11CF-8FD0-00AA00686F13}
    MHTML Editing Control {3050F3D9-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}

{3050F5C8-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}

{3050F67D-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}
    DHTML Editing Control {2D360200-FFF5-11d1-8d03-00a0c959bc0a}
    DHTML Editing Control (Safe for Scripting) {2D360201-FFF5-11d1-8D03-00A0C959BC0A}

Monday, August 13, 2018 1:36 AM