none
MSB6004 error with stampinf RRS feed

• Question

• I get this error after installing VS2017 and correct WDK when compiling unmodified KMDF generated using the wizard

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error MSB6004  The specified task executable location "\stampinf.exe" is invalid. KMDF Driver1 C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\build\WindowsDriver.common.targets 460

Any ideas?

• Moved by 宝宝徐 Monday, August 28, 2017 6:32 AM
    Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

This forum is to talk about the installation of visual studio, I will move your thread to suitable forum for professional support.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 6:30 AM
  • Ouch.  Thank you for reporting this.  We have not seen this before.  

What SKU of Visual Studio 2017 did you install?

What is the exact WDK build you installed?  Would you please double check you have the same version of the SDK installed also?

Do you have other versions of Visual Studio installed?

Do you have other versions of the WDK installed?

Monday, August 28, 2017 2:06 PM
  •  I had same error while trying to build UMDF sample. Here is error message:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error MSB6004 The specified task executable location "\stampinf.exe" is invalid. UMDF 2 Driver1 C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\build\WindowsDriver.common.targets 460

My SDK version was 15063 and WDK is 1709. I could resolve this problem after downloading SDK version 16299.

I hope it will be useful for someone else.

• Edited by miradham Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:57 AM solution
    • Proposed as answer by miradham Thursday, December 7, 2017 3:11 AM
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 9:33 AM
  • Did you get any solution?
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:23 PM
  • you have be sure that you are working with the right windows SDK with WDK so in visual studio 2017 click on project properties 

Configuration Properties > General > Windows SDK Version 

Change it from $(LatestTargetPlatformVersion) to 10.0.17134.0

• Proposed as answer by ChefEngg Friday, May 10, 2019 2:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ChefEngg Friday, May 10, 2019 2:55 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 9:42 AM
  • This is still an issue on the Windows 10 1803 WDK.

I keep needing to upgrade my installs to newer versions due to HLK compatibility and testing for my drivers. And now I'm running into this error after uninstalling some older versions.

I was able to fix the problem by doing a repair from Programs and Features on the existing 1803 WDK (which is old now) and also installed the 1809 WDK and now the error is gone. Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

• Proposed as answer by ChefEngg Friday, May 10, 2019 3:28 PM
    Friday, May 10, 2019 3:28 PM
  • I had the same issue when I was building my V4 Printer driver package in VS2017. I just went through the following steps and it solved finally:

1- Right-click on your project (in my case that was a packaging project) and select "Properties".

2- In "General" properties select General then in the options select "Platform Toolset"

3- Change to "Visual Studio (v141)" (in my case that was "WindowsUserModeDriver10.0")

4- Press OK

5- Rebuild your project.

I hope this helps you.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:11 AM