MediaFailed while playing PlayReady smoothstreaming: "MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_SRC_NOT_SUPPORTED : HRESULT - 0x80004004" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm developing an app which plays PlayReady protected streams. On all our and customer devices the app runs great! Unfortunatly there are a few customers with problems. Up to now I could never reproduce the error on our dev machines, but after receiving a clean installed 23inch AIO-desktop, we also have this error on this particular device.

When placing fiddler in between and using the remote debugger, we noticed the manifest file is being read(200) but after this succesful request the MediaFailed event is triggered with 'MediaFailed with HRESULT: 0x80004004' as error message.

Has anybody got a clue what could be the problem?

Regards,

Annihil8
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:18 PM

All replies

• That means "Operation aborted".  Are you saying that it fails only when you use Fiddler, or that you used Fiddler to detect that you're getting an 80004004 message?  Also, where is the message coming from, the client or the server?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Hi Matt!

Thank you for the reply!
    I use fiddler just to check if I can reach the manifest. With or without fiddler the streaming doesn't work...
    The 0x80004004 error I get on the client side as ExceptionRoutedEventArgs.ErrorMessage on the MediaPlayer.MediaFailed callback.

Regards,
    Annihil8
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:44 PM
  • So, not knowing much about PlayReady, what does it mean that the manifest is read?  Does the stream start being delivered to the client? 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:19 PM