MessagingException almost on every message we post to Service Bus RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are happy users of service bus until yesterday where it started failing to processes the messages we send to it. The issue has gotten really bad over the last 12 hours where almost half of our messages failed to post to service bus. Sometime we get time out exceptions but most of the time we get the following exception.

Exception: Microsoft.ServiceBus.Messaging.MessagingException: The service was unable to process the request; please retry the operation. For more information on exception types and proper exception handling, please refer to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=761101 

Note: We are using Azure.ServiceBus nuget package v4.0.0

Friday, March 24, 2017 9:36 PM

All replies

• Check the code and ensure that only serializable objects are used for the message body (or use a custom serializer). Check the documentation for the supported value types of the properties and only use supported types. Check the IsTransient property. If it is true, you can retry the operation.

Also, refer the MSDN link where the similar issue has been discussed.

Saturday, March 25, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer. 

As mentioned in the original post, our implementation is working just fine since we started using service bus so it is not a serialization issue. 

While the IsTransient property might be useful, it doesn't answer the question at all. Why has service bus been stable for 6 months and it suddenly started going flaky for the last 72 hours? This is far, far beyond the promised SLA and we are loosing data! 

Any other advice you can give us ( should we just kick off a couple of VMs with RabbitMQ instead? )

Saturday, March 25, 2017 10:47 PM
  • Can you provide couple more exceptions? The exception you provided is so generic to tell what is going on. In the meantime, can you also check the client resources are all fine like CPU, memory etc.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:06 PM
  • That's the problem! The only exception is this one without any additional errors or indication whatsoever. Cant it be that we are using a shared service bus instance instead of the very expensive dedicated one? 
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Do you have Azure Support option? If so, you can file a ticket for investigation.

If you don't have the support option and if it is OK to provide your namespace here, I can check if anything was wrong on our side. Please provide a time range as well.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:34 PM
  • Nope, we have checked this out many times and we couldn't get the Azure support option to work :( 

The issue is that we can't wait as we must find an alternative solution as soon as possible. These problems started to reappear again today and we are really left out of options. 

Can you send me an email tahar-at-stockandbuy-dot-com so I can share the namespace and all the information you need via email? 

Friday, March 31, 2017 8:18 PM
  • Ok, just sent you an email.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Thank you. I haven't received the email yet though :)
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Sorry, seems I made a typo in the email. Sent another one.
    Friday, April 7, 2017 12:54 AM