none
How can i insert a custom panel beneath/above the explorer-view ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my starting point is a add-in project/assembly. I see the menue customizing features with the Ribbon class.
    The FormRegion class seems to be the view extension for the reading area of message types, contacts etc.
    What i wanna do is: 

Outlook has also a specific panel for "favorite" mail folders - above the explorer, left-top.
    A similar small panel with the list of calenders left-bottom of the month explorer in the calender tab.

So i was wondering, if i can create/add such a panel beneath the mail explorer too.
    Would somebody be so kind to give a hint, classname, whatever :-) ?

Thanks !

• Edited by Micke2nd Wednesday, March 13, 2019 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hello Micke,

The Outlook extensibility model doesn't provide anything for customizing that area. The Outlook Form regions don't provide such layouts. However, you may consider using Windows API functions for  subclassing Outlook windows and injecting your own window there. Here is MS states:

Basically, this is the practice of using the Windows API to hook Outlook’s windows and insert your own panes, which you are then responsible for managing. The important thing to remember here is that doing this is not supported. We strongly encourage you to use the supported technologies for extending Outlook, such as form regions. However, if you do choose to extend Outlook with adjacent windows, we offer these best practices to ensure coexistence with other solutions which do the same thing.

See Creating Adjacent Windows In Outlook sample project for more information.

Add-in Express provide the BottomNavigationPane layout which you may use for placing your form under the navigation bar in Outlook. Here is how it may look like:

Read more about available layouts on the Advanced Outlook view and form regions page.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

• Marked as answer by Micke2nd Friday, March 15, 2019 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hello Micke,

The Outlook extensibility model doesn't provide anything for customizing that area. The Outlook Form regions don't provide such layouts. However, you may consider using Windows API functions for  subclassing Outlook windows and injecting your own window there. Here is MS states:

Basically, this is the practice of using the Windows API to hook Outlook’s windows and insert your own panes, which you are then responsible for managing. The important thing to remember here is that doing this is not supported. We strongly encourage you to use the supported technologies for extending Outlook, such as form regions. However, if you do choose to extend Outlook with adjacent windows, we offer these best practices to ensure coexistence with other solutions which do the same thing.

See Creating Adjacent Windows In Outlook sample project for more information.

Add-in Express provide the BottomNavigationPane layout which you may use for placing your form under the navigation bar in Outlook. Here is how it may look like:

Read more about available layouts on the Advanced Outlook view and form regions page.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

• Marked as answer by Micke2nd Friday, March 15, 2019 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:43 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

i've seen that Addin Express is offering that feature, but i wanted first to clarify, can it be solved with onboard tools.

The statement that is not possible out of the box is also helpful, thnx. I know what you mean by hooking or injecting own views, i'll have to think about :-)

thank you !

Friday, March 15, 2019 8:00 AM