Mirroring when not on the same domain RRS feed

• Question

•  

I thought I would post my findings since I spent 2 very long days getting mirroring set up on 2 servers that belong to a workgroup and not a domain. I searched the net and found bits and pieces to the answer. So to make a long story short...

One very important step which needs to be done is: On the Principle server create FULL backup and restore it to the Mirror with NO RECOVERY. Then created a transaction log backup on the Principle and  and restore it to the Mirror with NO RECOVER. This will leave the DB in a "restoring" state on the mirror. (This is normal)

- Can you set up mirroring on these workgroup servers using the Mirror GUI?

* No, you have to manually run the statements

- Can DB mirroring be set up without the Principle and Mirror on the same domain?

* Yes, you have to use certificates for authorization  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191140.aspx

- What do I use since I do not have a FQDN for the servers?

- Use IP address (  SET PARTNER = 'TCP://IP OF SERVERStick out tongueORT NUMBER'; )

I hope this save some of you valuable time in getting this going. I sucessfully set up 2 instances of mirroring on servers that do not belong to a domain. So far everything is working GREAT!

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:46 PM