none
Problem: Created VSTO Add-in for MS Project, used VS InstallShield for Setup; Setup Runs, but Add-in Not Available RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

New to this forum. I have created a VSTO add-in for MS Project. I followed the instructions (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vsto/deploying-an-office-solution-by-using-windows-installer) to create an InstallShield setup program for add-in using the InstallShield that comes with VS2015.

All builds successfully.

I ran setup on my target laptop (which has MS Project installed). Setup ran without complaint.

I ran MS Project, and add-in does not show up, nor can I "find it" via MS Project|File|Options|Add-ins.

I need to get this setup thing working... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:53 PM

All replies

• I should add that examining the target machine after I run setup shows all installation files present. The registry entries (under LOCAL_MACHINE) are present. Though the "manifest" value has "file:///C:\Program Files(x86)\Jacobs Technology\IresProjectAddIn\IresProjectAddIn.vsto|vstolocal". Not sure about the tailend of that string value ('|vstolocal").
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:18 PM
  • Hi Doug,

>> The registry entries (under LOCAL_MACHINE) are present. Though the "manifest" value has "file:///C:\Program Files(x86)\Jacobs Technology\IresProjectAddIn\IresProjectAddIn.vsto|vstolocal". Not sure about the tailend of that string value ('|vstolocal").

If you use Windows Installer to deploy the solution, you must add the prefix file:/// to the manifest path. You must also append the string |vstolocal (that is, the pipe character | followed by vstolocal) to the end of this path.

This ensures that your solution is loaded from the installation folder, rather than the ClickOnce cache.

Note: When you build a VSTO Add-in on the development computer, Visual Studio automatically appends the |vstolocal string to this registry entry.

For more information, please review the following link:

Registry entries for VSTO Add-ins

Hopefully it helps you.

Best Regards,

Yuki

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Friday, December 7, 2018 3:19 AM
  • Yuki,

Thank you for your reply and the information. I appreciate you explaining why the "///" and "|vstolocal" must be present in the manifest. 

I suppose my question is... since my setup *is* doing the way, what might be the problem with the installation of my add-in?

The setup program works (at least it does not note any problems), the files and registry entries appear to be present as explained in the link you offered, yet MS Project seems to not realize the add-in is present and will not load it.

Do you have any insight into what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks again for your reply,

Doug

Friday, December 7, 2018 1:53 PM