Download Email and Dis[;ay it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I am aware of how to send email. However, I would like to be able to connect to a given emai account with its set passoword and then retrieve all the emails. Once the email is selected, it should then be show to the user so that he/she may read it.

Does anyone have some clues for me? I am using Visual Studio 2008 - Visual Basic. OS = Vista.

Thanks and regards,

Rich.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 1:30 PM

Answers

• There is no built in support for email retrieval in .NET - only sending.  So, you will need to write/find a component that understands the protocol of the mail server.  Most commonly, this is POP3.  If you decide to write your own, you will want to grab a copy of the relavent rfc - a good place for searching rfc's in general is the RFC-Editor Webpage .   The main rfc you want is here .

As for components, I'm sure a google search for pop3 and .net should yeild you good results.

HTH
    Tom Shelton
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:33 PM

All replies

• There is no built in support for email retrieval in .NET - only sending.  So, you will need to write/find a component that understands the protocol of the mail server.  Most commonly, this is POP3.  If you decide to write your own, you will want to grab a copy of the relavent rfc - a good place for searching rfc's in general is the RFC-Editor Webpage .   The main rfc you want is here .

As for components, I'm sure a google search for pop3 and .net should yeild you good results.

HTH
    Tom Shelton
    Friday, April 3, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Some Links that does show pop3 and smtp in .net using sockets

Arjun Paudel
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 4:34 AM
  • HAHA lol @ write my own :)

I'm super new to programing, but thanks for the suggestions. I have completed my email client which allows the user to select different email accounts, save, load emails and customise an addressbook. The application works perfectly without any bugs ( that i am aware of ). However, I would really like to implement a function to download emails for review on the desktop. Im gonna have a look at the links that Arjun Paudel provided.

Thanks again guys/girls

Rich.

Friday, April 24, 2009 10:09 PM