New Forum?

All replies

• "d r h" wrote in message news:f2ed02f7-467d-49ed-9426-d6ac9dc320a4...

This is a Developer forum.

Will there be a new one for the beta?

It’s not a Beta – it’s a ‘Customer Preview’  or is it a ‘Consumer Preview’?) <eg>
    There will almost certainly be a Connect space for it.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:20 AM
  • This is a Developer forum.

This is not really a developer forum. It is a forum for general issues with the Developer Preview. There are specific developer forums (C++, C#/VB, HTML5/Javascript) for WinRT.

I don't see why all these forums cannot continue as they are when the Consumer Preview is released.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:41 AM
  • This is a Developer forum.

I would assume that there would be, seeing as the title of this forum is "Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions", then it would be slightly odd to discuss in here, what is effectively a completely seperate OS. I would personally be looking out for a "Windows Consumer Preview: General OS questions" showing up.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:00 PM
  • I have not been through the complete gamut of a Windows beta before so do not know what to expect. Thought the oldtimers here would know.

So far there seems a slight edge towards a new forum - but time will tell.

Have already cleared the DP and associated partitions from a drive and am ready for the beta (sorry, Consumer Preview).

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:05 PM
  • I would assume that there would be, seeing as the title of this forum is "Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions", then it would be slightly odd to discuss in here, what is effectively a completely seperate OS. I would personally be looking out for a "Windows Consumer Preview: General OS questions" showing up.

+1. But any such forum doesn't belong in a 'brand' aimed at developers (MSDN). Noel (the other one) mentioned a Connect site, but they're aimed at beta testers. The CP is not a beta, so no logging of bug reports or feature requests.

'General OS questions' might quickly get out of hand if it's swamped with posts about Explorer, Mail, Calendar, People, pictures, TV, video, music, hardware, virus protection, Internet Explorer, installation, Windows Update, restore and repair, gaming, networking, user accounts, maintenance and all the other topics that people have trouble with in current OSs. 

It would appear sensible to have either a completely separate 'brand' for W8 user discussions, later to be incorporated into Answers (the 'brand' for users), or else a new section at Answers from the beginning.
    ['Brand' seems to be the approved collective noun for a collection of forums.]  

While I fully expect to see some arrangement 'in due course', I cannot understand why the announcement of such an arrangement has to wait until after the last minute.

Noel

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:02 AM
  • I just have to respond here, if for no other reason than all the Noels can participate in one thread.

The CP is not a beta, so no logging of bug reports or feature requests

Do you anticipate no capability to provide feedback via the Feedback Tool, as we have been able to do with the DP?  If not, why?  Could the problems of scale (millions of users) be just so great that Microsoft couldn't possibly deal with the volume?

It just seems wrong somehow that bugs discovered in this phase shouldn't be reported, and hopefully fixed.  I fully understand the system being mature, and having gone through much system verification testing Microsoft would be resistant to changing very much, but you just KNOW there are going to be big bugs uncovered.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:18 AM
  • It just seems wrong somehow that bugs discovered in this phase shouldn't be reported, and hopefully fixed.

Agreed. At this point in the development process I would expect there to be a feedback method for bug reporting with the Consumer Preview.

Monday, February 27, 2012 3:46 AM
  • On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:02:51 +0000, .Firedog wrote:

+1. But any such forum doesn't belong in a 'brand' aimed at developers (MSDN). Noel (the other one) mentioned a Connect site, but they're aimed at beta testers. The CP is not a beta, so no logging of bug reports or feature requests.

There really is no such thing as the traditional beta model anymore, at
    least when it comes to Windows. The DP is also not a beta in the
    traditional sense yet Microsoft has provided a feedback tool which one can
    use to report bugs and you can view your bugs on Connect. I don't see any
    reason that the CP won't be the same.

While I fully expect to see some arrangement 'in due course', I cannot understand why the announcement of such an arrangement has to wait until after the last minute.

Conversely, there's no reason to pre-announce the arrangements prior to the
    release of the CP as no one will be able to use it until said release.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Program:  What commercials try to do to us.

Monday, February 27, 2012 5:13 AM