how to make web app appear to the user it is a native app? RRS feed

• Question

• User379720387 posted

A while back I watched a tutorial where someone showed the steps to create a web app. At the conclusion of the tutorial they showed what you could do to make it look like the user is installing a native app.

But in reality all that was done was put a link on the user's device.

Anyone remember if they have seen it and where it can be found?

TIA

Robert

Monday, April 1, 2013 11:09 AM

All replies

• User1943143334 posted

Hi,

May be creating a shorcut icon on the device!

For example, you can do for like this for iPhone

Hope it helps u...

Monday, April 1, 2013 1:10 PM
  • User1779161005 posted

From the browser on iOS you just open the options and create a bookmark as an icon on the "desktop".

Monday, April 1, 2013 1:41 PM
  • User379720387 posted

I am familiar with bookmarks, but that was not what I was after.

Monday, April 1, 2013 2:18 PM
  • User1779161005 posted

So the only other thing I can think of is a toolkit like PhoneGap.

http://phonegap.com/

It allows a HTML/JS app to be installed as a native app.

Monday, April 1, 2013 3:04 PM
  • User-742633084 posted

Hi wavemaster,

If you're going to develop a web application (hosted on remote webserver), then mobile phone devices can only consume it via webbrowser which cannot fully simulate a native app. Some phones like iphone, windows phone supports pinning a web page/url onto the home screen(start screen) just like a native app's icon, but when clicking the icon, it still launchs the page in web browser.

Another approach is to develop a native phone app (either iOS or Android or Windows Phone app) and use a webbrowser control to host some local web pages (or from remote web app) into the native app. Thus, the native app can be published into the certain phone app store. The "PhoneGap" framework BrockAllen mentioned is a popular one for building such kind of mobile phone app. The advantage of this approach is that you can build phone app just like writing html/js based page (e.g. using HTML5 features). But such approach is still limited because you cannot quite access the native API/features of the certain phone platform.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:00 PM