Videos from IOS devices not supported? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When uploading a video from an IOS device (my app) - the format is not supported (.MOV).

- Is there any specific reason why Media Services does not support input from IOS devices? The IOS user base seems to big to ignore.

- Is there any information if .MOV will be supported in the future?

- Is there any easy way I can get this to work?

Thanks
    Thomas

Monday, December 15, 2014 10:57 PM

Answers

• Try changing the extension to .MP4.

We don't support Quicktime file format specifically, so we wont read anything in there that is Quicktime specific, but it's essentially close enough to the MP4 file format that we do support. If it is recorded on iOS with H.264 and AAC codecs, then we should be able to treat it like a standard MP4.

Monday, December 15, 2014 11:41 PM

All replies

• Try changing the extension to .MP4.

We don't support Quicktime file format specifically, so we wont read anything in there that is Quicktime specific, but it's essentially close enough to the MP4 file format that we do support. If it is recorded on iOS with H.264 and AAC codecs, then we should be able to treat it like a standard MP4.

Monday, December 15, 2014 11:41 PM
  • "If it is recorded on iOS with H.264 and AAC codecs, then we should be able to treat it like a standard MP4."

I am not so keen on the "should be able"-part since we are talking about users of our biggest market.

- Is there any specific reason why Azure Media Services does not formally support QuickTime? You seem to support almost any other format and I see that other similar services (e.g. Amazon Elastic Transcoder) seems to support Quicktime.

- Is there any information if QuickTime will be supported in the future?

Thanks
    Thomas

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:32 AM
  • Specific reason - Apple licensing.

You will also notice that Amazon never states that they support Quicktime file format, in fact if you look at their forums, they have had a few employees state that they "officially" do not support it.

I won't comment any further on a public forum, but you can combine the following keywords into your own answer that I can say impacts all cloud encoding services including Amazon, Zencoder and others:    Lawyers, IP, licensing, Apple, Copyright.

I'll update this thread in the future if things change.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:06 PM
  • If your media file is ProRes, AWS doesn't support it as well. 
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:08 PM
  • See http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-support-for-apple-prores-videos-in-azure-media-services/.

We now have support for QuickTime/Apple ProRes videos.

Friday, September 11, 2015 7:22 PM