none
SharePoint Disaster Recovery Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,  I have a question about disaster recovery.  We currently have a SharePoint 2010 environment with 2 FEW servers and a single SQL DB server.  The SharePoint DBs are mirrored to our Disaster recovery SQL server.  We have 2 disaster recovery FEW servers that are identical to the 2 production FEWs.  We are planning a test to totally bring up the SharePoint DR environment.  My question is the following:  Once we point our DNS to the DR FEW servers, how do I update the SharePoint settings/configurations to realize the DR servers, because the configuration DB will contain all the Production server information and not DR.  I assume that I will need to run the SharePoint Configuration utility to update the DR SQL server and then have to reattach the content DBs in CA.  Any guidance on this is much appreciated.

Thx

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:16 PM

Answers

• Assuming that this is all on a single physical site, you should be able to add the two DR WFE servers to the current SharePoint farm.  If DNS is not pointing to them and they aren't hosting any SharePoint Services it won't matter if they are up or down.  Then to test DR simply change DNS to point to the new servers.

If your DR SQL server is in a different physical location then that will complicate matters.  In that case the DR servers should be restored versions of the regular servers.

Take a look at the following article for more info:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628971.aspx#Standby

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by nbrattoliMVP Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by bwilbourne Monday, June 1, 2015 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:27 PM
  • If you are talking about 1 network then I would agree with Paul. Join your DR WFEs to the Farm, if they are not already. If you then configure CA to use the secondary SQL box as the failover then you should be good. I think the last time i did this there were some DBs that couldnt be specified in the UI and had to be configured via powershell to use a failover. At that point, assuming you would just change the DNS record(s) and be fine.
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:41 PM

All replies

• Assuming that this is all on a single physical site, you should be able to add the two DR WFE servers to the current SharePoint farm.  If DNS is not pointing to them and they aren't hosting any SharePoint Services it won't matter if they are up or down.  Then to test DR simply change DNS to point to the new servers.

If your DR SQL server is in a different physical location then that will complicate matters.  In that case the DR servers should be restored versions of the regular servers.

Take a look at the following article for more info:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628971.aspx#Standby

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Principal Architect: Blue Chip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Proposed as answer by nbrattoliMVP Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:27 PM
  • When you say the WFEs are "identical" what specifically do you mean?

Are all servers in the same physical place/network/domain?

Is SharePoint configured to use the DR SQL Mirror as a failover DB?

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  The 2 FEW servers are part of the prod farm.  I can see them all in CA.  The SQL server is another physical server.  We mirror the current Prod DBs to the DR SQL server.  Our thought is that we change DNS to point to the DR servers, then failover to the SQL DR box.  I am probably over thinking this but just wanted to get another opinion.
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:07 AM
  • The DR servers match the Prod FEW servers.  They are in different locations but on the same networks.  I will confirm that they are configured to use failover...

Thx

Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:09 AM
  • If you are talking about 1 network then I would agree with Paul. Join your DR WFEs to the Farm, if they are not already. If you then configure CA to use the secondary SQL box as the failover then you should be good. I think the last time i did this there were some DBs that couldnt be specified in the UI and had to be configured via powershell to use a failover. At that point, assuming you would just change the DNS record(s) and be fine.
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:41 PM