Is Windows Embedded 7 (WES7) EAL4+ certified? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I would like to know if Windows Embedded 7 is EAL4+ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation_Assurance_Level) certified? I found the Common Criteria Validation Report (https://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/files/epfiles/st_vid10390-vr.pdf) stating that Windows 7 Standard and Enterprise are certified. As I did not find a certificate for WES7, I'd like to know if the Windows 7 Standard Certification does certifiy WES7, too.

Having a guess, I actually do not believe that WES7 as "package" can be certified. I worked with Windows Embedded XP and, as I understand Windows Embedded 7, there is still the concept that I as a developer add together modules for different functionality. So I believe that if I develop a WES7 System, I will have to certify exactly that one, and if a collegue or a different company does create a different WES7 system, they will have to certify that one. Am I right? (I would really like it not to be right here :-)

Regards

Stefan

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 9:39 AM

Answers

• Following Seans advice, I engaged internal channels and got answer. Currently, Windows 7 is EAL4+ certified, but Windows 7 Embedded is not.
    • Marked as answer by Stefan Egeler Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:42 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:42 PM

All replies

• Someone else might have some insight, but I suggest contacting you distributor and elevating the question to Microsoft.

I would think that since WES7 is Windows 7 broken in to different module, the EAL level could be considered the same.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:32 PM
  • Following Seans advice, I engaged internal channels and got answer. Currently, Windows 7 is EAL4+ certified, but Windows 7 Embedded is not.
    • Marked as answer by Stefan Egeler Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:42 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:42 PM