none
Error Publishing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am making a basic program for a business. It won't need frequent updates. I would like to publish it and download the program from a USB drive to the business's computers. As I update it, I would again download the updates from the USB. When I try to publish other programs I have made, I get 7 errors. Can someone help?

Thanks

• Edited by Abraham J Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:46 AM
    Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:22 AM

Answers

• The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

You need to re-arrange the folder layout for the project so that the path to the project files is much shorter.  For instance, change all occurrence of 'CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe)' to 'LucysCafe', or something similar.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2620027/visual-studio-move-project-to-a-different-folder

There are many different ways in which you can publish an application - you should indicate the steps you are taking to do the publishing.    However, in this case it is the build that has failed, not the actual publishing.

• Marked as answer by Abraham J Friday, September 1, 2017 2:26 AM
    Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:49 AM

All replies

• When I try to publish other softwares I have made, I get 7 errors.

What is the procedure you are using to publish your application, and what are the errors?

Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:27 AM
  • This program is out of a textbook. It now shows 4 errors. I am going to change the name, but the first and second errors are still unknown to me.

"Cannot publish because a project failed to build. Line: 1 "

"Unable to copy file "bin\Debug\app.publish\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe).exe" to "bin\Debug\app.publish\Application Files\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe)_1_1_1_1\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe).exe.deploy"."

"Unable to copy file "App.config" to "bin\Debug\app.publish\Application Files\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe)_1_1_1_1\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe).exe.config.deploy". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters."

"Unable to copy file "bin\Debug\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe).exe.manifest" to "bin\Debug\app.publish\Application Files\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe)_1_1_1_1\CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe).exe.manifest". The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe)"

-

What do you mean by procedure?

Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:57 AM
  • Okay, so I got it to publish. How can I set the publisher and any other install information?
    Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:05 AM
  • The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

You need to re-arrange the folder layout for the project so that the path to the project files is much shorter.  For instance, change all occurrence of 'CaseStudy_(Lucy'sCubanCafe)' to 'LucysCafe', or something similar.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2620027/visual-studio-move-project-to-a-different-folder

There are many different ways in which you can publish an application - you should indicate the steps you are taking to do the publishing.    However, in this case it is the build that has failed, not the actual publishing.

• Marked as answer by Abraham J Friday, September 1, 2017 2:26 AM
    Sunday, August 27, 2017 4:49 AM
  • Okay, so I got it to publish. How can I set the publisher and any other install information?
    That would depend on how you are doing the publishing.  See here for how it is done for ClickOnce:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/748fh114(v=vs.140).aspx
    Sunday, August 27, 2017 5:20 AM