none
FolderIDs when migrating from E2003 to E2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of migrating from Exchange 2003 to 2010.  One of our applications will use the FolderID in Exchange 2010 to perform its task.  I would like to be able to pre-populate the FolderIDs in question so that when the mailbox is moved to E2010 the code starts using it and the transition for E2003 to 2010 is seamless.  So I have two questions:

1. Does the FolderID of a folder change when migrating from E2003 to E2010?

2. If it does not, how can I get the FolderID of a folder in E2003?  Outlook Spy hasn't been as revealing as I would have hoped (or more likely, I don't know where to look for it).

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

which API are you using? MAPI? Or are you migrating from WebDAV to EWS?

Kind regards,
    Henning

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:39 PM
  • I'm using EWS to access the mailbox in E2010.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:08 PM
  • So, with Exchange 2003 you were using WebDAV?

Kind regards,
    Henning

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:30 PM
  • To be honest, I'm not sure (I didn't write the E2003 code).  The code does an HTTPWebRequest to, e.g. https://server.domain/exchange/<folder name>, then parses an XML response.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:03 PM
  • So it's WebDAV then.

You can't convert he old urls to the new folder ids used by the Exchange WebServices.

Am I correct if I assume you have stored data about the Exchange messages somewhere like database and use the item url to correlate these entries together?

You should stamp each of the current messages in Exchange with a custom property to ensure you can identify it later. This property should contain something like a GUID which maps to your database entries.

Kind regards,
    Henning Krause

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:06 PM
  • So it's WebDAV then.

You can't convert he old urls to the new folder ids used by the Exchange WebServices.

I hear you. Just to make sure I asked the right question: Does Exchange 2003 use a FolderID in the same manner Exchange 2010 does?

Am I correct if I assume you have stored data about the Exchange messages somewhere like database and use the item url to correlate these entries together?

You should stamp each of the current messages in Exchange with a custom property to ensure you can identify it later. This property should contain something like a GUID which maps to your database entries.

For clarification: If I am using EWS with Exchange 2010 and choose to save an item's ItemID.Uniqueid property in an external database (or a folder's FolderID.UniqueId property for that matter) for later reference, will the value be the same as long as the item exists in Exchange?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hi,
     > I hear you. Just to make sure I asked the right question: Does Exchange

2003 use a FolderID in the same manner Exchange 2010 does?

The "id" used by Exchange 2003 was an URL in the form you described: http://server/exchange/mailbox/path/item.eml. Exchange 2010 uses a fundamentally different id, namely the UniqueId. This is a bas64 encoded binary blob. Both forms are not interchangeable and cannot be converted from one form to another.

For clarification: If I am using EWS with Exchange 2010 and choose to save an item's ItemID.Uniqueid property in an external database (or a folder's  > FolderID.UniqueId property for that matter) for later reference, will the value be the same as long as the item exists in Exchange?

The unique id is based on the PR_EntryId MAPI property. It is not changed until the item is moved to another folder. At least this is true for all item types except for meetings. Exchange will recreate them under certain circumstances thereby changing the unique id. In the case of meetings you can use the Uid (or Caluid) property for identification.

Kind regards,
    Henning Krause

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:52 PM