none
Kinect camera image cleanup in WPF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently developing a WPF application which uses the Kinect. The application requires that the Kinect runs at its maximum resolution of 1280x960 so far this is all working fine. However there is a significant amount of noise in the image.

I was looking into using the effect property of the WPF image control I am using to render the Kinect camera image and passing the image through a pixel shader to clean up the noise.

So far I am having no luck in building a median filter in hlsl (Too many operations for the pixel shader to handle) and a simple blur filter doesnt do much good and sacrifices detail. Can anyone recommend a pixel shader(s) to clean the image or if you have any other suggestions for cleaning the image in realtime?

Thanks

Monday, March 5, 2012 5:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• out of curiosity, what are the lighting conditions?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 7:46 AM
  • The conditions vary but mainly a medium to a well lit areas(mainly under fluorescent lights or clothes shop lighting conditions). Specifically looking at the image I notice that the noise is quite sharp so a median filter should be able to clean it off but I am limited in terms of the graphics hardware I am using (Intel HD graphics) which cant perform a median filter due to the arithmetic and instruction limitations of pixel shader model 2.0
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:07 AM
  • If you blur, you will need to "sharpen" the image to get some of that back. A typical photo technique to get rid of noise/moire pattern is to blur then sharpen. How much noise are you seeing in the source? Do you have an example?
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:51 PM
  • A median filter definitely sounds like the right approach to me.

This could be helpful?:

http://developer.amd.com/media/gpu_assets/ShaderX2_AdvancedImageProcessing.pdf

If you're short on instructions, there are ways to break it up into multiple passes.
    Friday, March 9, 2012 6:05 PM