none
Is it ok to query tables/views that are not in the reporting database? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement to show when a resource submitted/modified each of the items in their time sheet I found that we can get in this information by going directly to the publishing table MSP_Assignment_Transactions but it is well documented that accessing the publishing tables directly is not supported by Microsoft.

What other options are there to get the data from this table or for that matter any table other than the reporting tables that Microsoft would support?

Just as an FYI we do not want to write to them we just want to select the data we need.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:56 PM

All replies

• I dont think so you have any problem in reading the data from the Published database. You should not alter the 4 databases.

Cheers, Amit Wairkar

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:42 PM
  • If the data isn't in the Reporting db then next method is using PSI to interrogate Project Server. If you read directly, your code may break after a hotfix or service pack as Microsoft reserves the right to change the non-reporting db tables.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:00 AM
  • Even though accessing published DB is not supported for several reason, depending upon query you may start experiencing performance problems, if a later CU/SP alters the DB schema your reports may fail, but personally haven't experienced it in long time,

Also in my personal experience if you are not acquiring lock on the table while querying, it doesn't harms but then there are downside of it

However as an alternate as Rod suggested use PSI to get the data and stage it in staging table or something and then use it for reporting or you can replicate the publish DB and use that for reporting purpose  

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:50 PM