Update List Item - Sharepoint Designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.  I have tried to read as many threads as possible and I still don't understand how to make this work properly.  I do have some strong tech and dev chops but for some reason the Update List Item in Sharepoint Designer is really getting the best of me.  Here is the situation:

I have an infopath form as a new content type in a sharepoint list.  The list is called New Dictionary Request.  When the user selects new item and fills out the form, the contents of the form populate a new item in the list New Dictionary Request.  There is an approval workflow attached to the list that is triggered on the creation of a new item.  I would like the approver's comments to be populated into a column called Dictionary ID that resides in the list. 

I have tried to create a secondary workflow that is attached to the primary workflow.  The secondary workflow has a condition "If Completed equals Yes" then Update item...  This is where i hit a wall.  I can't for the life of me figure out how get the approver's comments to populate the Dictionary ID column of the list New Dictionary Request.

Like I said, I have read and read and read but still can't figure it out.

~Bryan

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:03 PM

Answers

• why you need to have a secondary workflow? Didn't you try to use the Approval Status in the Workflow condition?

If Approval Status = "Approved"

then Set DictionaryID to New Dictionary Request:Approver Comments

Please correct me if I understand the question wrong

--Cheers
    • Proposed as answer by Niraventp Monday, March 28, 2011 1:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:33 AM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:07 AM

All replies

• why you need to have a secondary workflow? Didn't you try to use the Approval Status in the Workflow condition?

If Approval Status = "Approved"

then Set DictionaryID to New Dictionary Request:Approver Comments

Please correct me if I understand the question wrong

--Cheers
    • Proposed as answer by Niraventp Monday, March 28, 2011 1:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:33 AM
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Thanks for reply.  I can't tell you have dumb this workflow is making me feel.  I feel like I should mail my degree back because I can't complete simple workflows. 

I'm still not able to make this thing work.  I have a column called New Dictionary Request that represents the approval status of the item.  The column exists in the list New Dictionary Requests.  When that column says Approved, I want a different column called Dictionary ID to populate with the comments from the approver.  Here is a what the Workflow Designer shows.

Conditions - If New Dictionary Request equals "Approved"

Actions - Set Comments to New Dictionary Requests:Approver Comments

Should I not have the word Approved in quotes?  I feel that the problem is in the item reference.  Am I referenceing the list item or the workflow history item...

Thanks for the help with this.  After this, I'm just going to stick to ActionScript...

~Bryan

Monday, March 28, 2011 5:52 PM
  • You don't need to use quotes, I would recommend you to use Approval Status column instead of  New Dictionary Request

moreover, in Actions, you need to user Dictionary ID instead of using Comments, since you want to populate the comments in Dictionary ID column.

Please let us know if you still cannot get this to work.

--Cheers
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:11 AM
  • I hate to say it... but Itill can't make this thing work.  I am at a complete loss.  I don't have the option to selece the Dictionary ID column.  As a matter of fact, there are only 5 different selections to choose from.  This is why I am questioning the what item it is referencing.  Does the 'Current Item' Referenct he list item the workflow is attached to or does 'Current Item' reference the instance of the workflow itself?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:41 PM
  • The 'current Item' refer to the current item/row being updated in the list.
    --Cheers
    Friday, April 1, 2011 5:50 AM