adding a dll to a project, best practice? RRS feed

• Question

• User-30237494 posted

hi,

I'm currently building an application in which I need to reference a 3rd party dll. Eventually other developers are going to be involved and will need to grab the source from Team Foundation Server.  I was wondering what's the best way for me to be able to share this dll so that when they get lastest it gets into their project, without them receiving errors that the dlls is missing.  I was thinking the following:

1. Create a folder for "includes"
    2. Add the dll to that folder
    3. When i reference it in the project settings, point to the dll in that folder

Is there another way, I wasn't sure if there is a best practice or a common way people do it in Visual Studio, we are using 2010 if that matters.

Thanks.

Monday, May 7, 2012 11:55 AM

Answers

• User653228039 posted

Yeah, that's the basic idea.  I know in the past, I've used the auto-generated "App_Data" folder for third party DLLs, but it can be whatever directory you like.  As long as the directory is included in the TFS repository and the references are relatively pathed, I don't think you'll have any issues.  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 1:28 PM

All replies

• User653228039 posted

Yeah, that's the basic idea.  I know in the past, I've used the auto-generated "App_Data" folder for third party DLLs, but it can be whatever directory you like.  As long as the directory is included in the TFS repository and the references are relatively pathed, I don't think you'll have any issues.  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 1:28 PM
  • User-30237494 posted

Great, just wanted to know if that's what most people do, wasn't sure if tehre was something built into Visual Studio that does it.

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:58 PM
  • User653228039 posted

One thing that I just thought of that may or may not be an issue is how TFS deals with binary files.  I don't have a lot of experience with TFS but I was working with SourceSafe recently and I know SourceSafe automatically locks binary files so that it cannot be checked out by multiple users.  That can be a bit of a problem.  It wasn't impossible to work with, just annoying.  I had to check out all files, then check binary files back in without removing them.  It was rather convoluted.  Hopefully TFS has a solution for that.  I never had that issue with Subversion.

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:06 PM