none
Connect Kinect to a netbook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, there is a way to connect a Kinect sensor to a netbook to have a portable Kinect station (without any other connection)? 

My question is about the power.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• The retail kinect sensor (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories/Kinect/kinectforxbox360) that works with the Kinect for Windows SDK does need to be plugged to an electrical outlet. Power from USB will not be enough, so the overall setup will not be as mobile as you want.

Sorry!
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    Friday, June 17, 2011 12:57 AM
  • In the future they might build the connect sensor into a Windows Netbook or Tablet??? (hint hint) ;)
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:25 AM
  •  

You answer is confusing.   How can Kinect not need to be plugged into an electrical outlet to use with the Windows SDK, but the USB is still not enough to run it?

It seems to me if USB doesn't supply enough power, then that makes it unusable.

Is the Kinect still usable in a limited function or does it not work at all?

Saturday, July 2, 2011 1:20 AM
  • the Kinect needs to plugged into external power.
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 2:16 AM
  • @ForeverTangent

Not sure what confused you, but I think the last phrase did. With "not be as mobile as you want" he meant that the setup will not be portable as the netbook by itself.

Saturday, July 2, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

In this case that you need a portable KINECT sensor, since the KINECT sensor is working with 5 and 12 voltage and the USB connection can prepare just the 5 voltage and you should buy a 12 voltage battery which can prepare the same amount of electrical current that is printed on the label of KINECT's power adapter.

After you bought it, you should cut the wire of power adapter and connect the battery to that wire. Since it is a DC connection, check the + and - and then connect them. It is the way that I used for make it as a portable sensor for my project.

Good luck

Amir

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Microsoft will launch a new version of the Kinect for Windows, with this new version there are possibilities to connect it without external power?

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:30 AM