Invoking a exe as a process in Windows Store Apps?

Question

• Hi all,

I want to invoke a exe as a process in windows store app. The scenario is I have some functionality which cannot be accomplished through windows store app. So I am creating a console app for that particular functionality and I want to run that exe through a process. Does Windows store app architecture supports that kind of solution.

Appreciate your all help.

Happy Coding.

Regards,
    Jaliya Udagedara (MCPD,MCSD) | My Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Jaliya,

That is not a supported scenario and could not be certified. Windows Store apps cannot directly launch or communicate with other apps (they can launch documents or URIs, but not exes)

Windows Store apps are intended to run standalone. If you require functionality that isn't available to Windows Store apps then you should write a desktop app rather than trying create a hybrid.

--Rob

Monday, June 17, 2013 2:54 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Even if you could accomplish invoking a desktop exe, your app would fail certification. Read section 3 of Windows 8 app certification requirements.
    Monday, June 17, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi Jaliya,

That is not a supported scenario and could not be certified. Windows Store apps cannot directly launch or communicate with other apps (they can launch documents or URIs, but not exes)

Windows Store apps are intended to run standalone. If you require functionality that isn't available to Windows Store apps then you should write a desktop app rather than trying create a hybrid.

--Rob

Monday, June 17, 2013 2:54 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you so much for your all answers. My requirement sounds pretty simple, but I was trying for last few days, but couldn't achieve.

I have a online radio app using Shoutcast streams and I want to save shoutcast streams, so later I can play. I have already created a new thread like 5 days back and there was no single reply for that. If a media element can play shoutcast streams there should be definitely a way to save those. Do you guys have any idea on this. At least just tell me whether I am following a Mirage?

Happy Coding.

Regards,

Monday, June 17, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi Jaliya,

Please post one question per thread and one thread per question. If nobody has replied to your other thread you might need to add more information to it. That is often a sign that the question was unclear.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:54 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

I am so sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Happy Coding.

Regards,

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:54 AM