none
how many port an exe can port and why ? RRS feed

• Question

• Please any one help me on this question..

how many ports an .net application (exe) can open? why ?

NOTE: please explain me if port open is vary according to TCP,HTTP,etc.,

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As my first post, we can use any port (1~65535) that is not already used by any application.

I suggest to stay away from 1-1024 ports.These ports are used by common applications.

Here is a list of app's and what ports they are using : List

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

>>how many ports an .net application (exe) can open? why ?

In theory, we can use ports from 1 through 65,535, but the system takes up part of the port, so our applications can no longer use this part of the port, for example, Email received on a local computer generally uses a TCP port 25. File Transport Protocol or FTP uses port 21, to name only a few port assignments, then our application cannot use 25 and 21 anymore.

The official assignments registred with the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) for HTTP are:

80: standard port for HTTP,

8080: HTTP alternate (commonly used by cache or proxy or web server running as a non-root user)

The ports below are non official ports (not registered with IANA) that are also used:

8081: HTTP alternate

8090: HTTP alternate (used as an alternative to port 8080)

More information regarding it, referring to links below:

PORT NUMBERS:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml

List of TCP and UDP port numbers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:58 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. could you please tell me how many port an exe can open ?
    Monday, February 17, 2014 6:42 AM
  • Hello,

As my first post, we can use any port (1~65535) that is not already used by any application.

I suggest to stay away from 1-1024 ports.These ports are used by common applications.

Here is a list of app's and what ports they are using : List

Regards.

Monday, February 17, 2014 7:26 AM
  • Thanks a lot..
    Monday, February 17, 2014 1:15 PM